When do you feed treats?

P-Funk

Songster
9 Years
Feb 20, 2011
Franktown
I have 6 that just turned 7 weeks old. For the last few days I let them into the coop while the big girls free range. They love to scratch around there and out in the run. For now they are still on starter crumbles but get overly curious when they see treats coming in the coop. Do they need oyster shell if they eat anything but starter?

Grit is important for chicks. They will likely get grit from your ground. It is not necessary to or healthy for chicks to eat oyster shell. The added calcium can and does cause problems if they eat to much. In a free ranging situation it is usually not a problem as the chicks will not go and seek out oyster shell.

Mealworms seem to be my chicks favorite. Hamburger (both cooked and raw) is like chicken crack for my flock. Scratch is always good too.

Wish you the best.

Hamburger. Really?!? The oyster shell is mixed in with the layer pellets and they don't have any interest in that. There is always scratch left in the run. We just don't want them to get clogged up. So they can get yogurt and oatmeal just like the big girls, eh? Maybe that way they'll come over to me for once. That is one awesome coop, BTW
droolin.gif

Back
Top Bottom