When Do You Introduce Chicks To Your Flock?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by HJECG, Feb 20, 2014.

1. HJECG

HJECG Out Of The Brooder

Dec 27, 2013
    USDA Zone 7
    I'm raising my first few baby chicks now (a Blue Copper Marans, an Australorp, a Barred Rock and a Brown Leghorn) and they're only 2 weeks old, and still in my DIY brooder. But I'm thinking ahead to later in the spring when they're ready to be without the heat lamp, and beyond that, when it will be time to let them live with my very small flock of existing hens out in our coop and run. So I was just wondering what the general rule of thumb is when it comes to moving pullets from they're own living space into the coop with the girls who will be their flockmates. I'd love to hear some feedback from more experienced folks on when you usually move your babies into the coop. Thanks!

2. SequoyahFarms

SequoyahFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2013
    Knoxville Tn
    I've been going thru this for the past while now myself. I think it really depends on the personality of your hens. Mine happen to be bullies. Well, a few at least. I keep my chicks inside till they are 6 weeks old and weaned off of the light. Then I move them into a grow out area inside my coop. My coop is 8x8 and the grow out area is 3.5x 5 feet and 3 feet tall with a solid top. I keep the chicks in the grow out area till they are 4 months. At that time they are almost as big as the hens. This last time, two of my hens were so bad that I put them in the grow out area for a week to knock them off their podium. Any hen that seems determined to go for real blood gets pinless peepers put on for a week or two. They still will go for them with the peepers on but they aren't as accurate and gives the younger ones a chance to run. Hope this helps some.

3. red horse ranch

red horse ranch Overrun With Chickens

Jan 24, 2014
    Buffalo Wyoming
    No matter when you add the young ones the hens are likely to give them a hard time. I usually wait until the chicks are at least 3 months old before letting them out to free range at the same time. They will have been in a cage inside the henhouse since 2 months old and I still pen them in the cage at night until 4 or 5 months old.
    If they are put straight into you coop with the hens it would be best to give them a safe area to get away from the older ones.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by