When do you remove eggs from a broody?

TaylorGlade

Over egg-sposed
Premium Feather Member
Jul 29, 2023
Florida Panhandle
Our broody seems to have hatched out one chick last night. We are super excited about this! It's our very first mama. However, she was sitting on four eggs. At what point do we take the remaining three unhatched eggs from under her?

Are you sure they are not chicks too? Or do you want to incubate the remainder eggs?
They appear to be unhatched. I guess a better way to word that is at what point should we determine that these eggs aren't going to hatch and remove them from underneath her. We candled them and know that at least at some point they had chicks. But have not hatched on time so far

I usually wait about two days / until she needs to leave to feed the hatched ones. If no sign of a pip or any activity, I usually toss them after she heads out. (But this with the understanding that the eggs were all set at once and no new ones were added).

If you think they are just behind in development, I'd wait the two days (if she stays) and then pop in an incubator.

They appear to be unhatched. I guess a better way to word that is at what point should we determine that these eggs aren't going to hatch and remove them from underneath her. We candled them and know that at least at some point they had chicks. But have not hatched on time so far
Then I would recommend grabbing a handful of the hens favorite food or feed in one hand and giving it to her, and while she is eating take the egg from underneath her.

Chicks are fine without food and water for three days after hatch. The broody will likely continue to sit on her eggs for 2-3 more days before she takes the hatchlings out to explore. After that she'll return to the eggs regularly for another week or so before overtly abandoning them

I would recommend leaving the eggs alone for at least another week

I usually wait about two days / until she needs to leave to feed the hatched ones. If no sign of a pip or any activity, I usually toss them after she heads out. (But this with the understanding that the eggs were all set at once and no new ones were added).

If you think they are just behind in development, I'd wait the two days (if she stays) and then pop in an incubator.
Chicks are fine without food and water for three days after hatch. The broody will likely continue to sit on her eggs for 2-3 more days before she takes the hatchlings out to explore. After that she'll return to the eggs regularly for another week or so before overtly abandoning them

I would recommend leaving the eggs alone for at least another week
I didn't know chicks could go that long without food and water. Do I need to be concerned about the other chickens?

Back
Top Bottom