When do you remove eggs from a broody?

That's a given, but it seems like every time I put down a fresh bowl of food they all think they have to have it. Lol
Maybe put down several bowls? Do the one closest to the broody hen first, then put down the others in other places. If they always want the most recent bowl, that will draw them away from the one by the broody. If they want all of the bowls, it still makes sure there is enough total food to go around, so they can get full and walk away and the bowl nearest the broody can still have food in it (or scratched on the floor nearby, which also works fine.)

Maybe put down several bowls? Do the one closest to the broody hen first, then put down the others in other places. If they always want the most recent bowl, that will draw them away from the one by the broody. If they want all of the bowls, it still makes sure there is enough total food to go around, so they can get full and walk away and the bowl nearest the broody can still have food in it (or scratched on the floor nearby, which also works fine.)
We are thinking of moving her and the chicks to a more secure location.

We tried to move her when she had eggs but she went berserk refusing to sit until we opened the enclosure. She then ran back into the coop and sat on different eggs. I'm hoping it won't be nutty chicken round two.
Of course she could be an exception, but moving with chicks will work with most hens, even the ones that refuse to be moved when they are sitting on eggs.

I think the difference is that eggs just sit quietly in a nest, while she tries to go back to the nest she chose (in the coop).

But with chicks, if she tries to run off, they peep and fuss, and she gets busy taking care of them instead of trying to escape.

Of course she could be an exception, but moving with chicks will work with most hens, even the ones that refuse to be moved when they are sitting on eggs.

I think the difference is that eggs just sit quietly in a nest, while she tries to go back to the nest she chose (in the coop).

But with chicks, if she tries to run off, they peep and fuss, and she gets busy taking care of them instead of trying to escape.
Thank you. We ended up moving her a few hours ago - along with some other eggs she still wants to hatch. So far so good!

Back
Top Bottom