1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

When do you start lockdown with bantam eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by annmarie33, Feb 26, 2016.

1. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Good luck!!

2. annmarie33

annmarie33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2015
    Thank you! Just rocking eggs here and there so far.
    But I started thinking- these eggs are free range and fed lots of treats and veggies, blueberries everyday etc. their shells are like twice as thick as store bought and hard to crack. Do you think that could be a problem? I just hope they can break through them ok. I don't think my last 2 hatches had this thick of shells

3. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    My green eggs are thick and hard to break and they hatch just fine. [​IMG]

4. annmarie33

Jun 22, 2015
    [​IMG]

5. annmarie33

Jun 22, 2015
    Isn't this air cell odd? I wonder if it's the one I thought might be twins. Anyway- it grew like crazy in the last 12 hours and in a weird shape. Would you say the beak in in the air cell? So internslly pipped? I do t hear chirping just see movement

6. annmarie33

Jun 22, 2015
    Humidity has been btw 65-72 since I started lockdown. Some air cells have grown some havent so I think it must be individual to the egg

7. annmarie33

Jun 22, 2015
    Day 19 starts in a few hours fyi. And the last pencil mark was done less than 24 hours ago on day 18

8. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Looks good to me. That is a "drawn down" air cell. It's what happens before they pip. It is either internally pipped or attempting to internally pip. By that pic I would say it hasn't made it all the way yet, but is pushing up into the the air cell and should be soon.

Yes, individual eggs loose moisture at their own rates. A lot of that has to do with shell quality and how porous it is.

[​IMG] You should see babies by the end of day 20 I would say.

9. annmarie33

Jun 22, 2015
    Thank you Amy! Ok makes me feel better! The dark eggs have the smallest air cells and change. Do dark eggs loose moister slower? I've never had darker eggs
    Also I haven't had this color egg since I've been collecting after I incubated these. I just have different shades of light brown. The dark I'm talking about you can see in that first incubation pic with the eggs laying down. Can a hens shell color change?

10. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    As I understand it the darker the egg the slower the moisture loss because the pigmentation is thicker to make it darker. I have heard of people "sanding" their BCM eggs before incubation to increase moisture loss. I've heard people that don't recommend sanding too. I don't have any real dark brown eggs. I do have some good greens that are hard to see into, but the moisture loss is pretty equal with the rest. They may get lighter/darker with age and the stopping and restarting production for winter/spring, but they won't change color like white to brown or brown to green. Nothing like that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by