When do you start lockdown with bantam eggs?

We've got 4 hatched and 5 pipped. All have pipped in the right place but this once concerns me. I took it out and it is pipped what looks under the air cell with the veins but it is chirping from the egg so I'm confused. Could they chirp like this? I'm worried its twins or something bc there was one with what looked like 2 yolks that I never found again
Congrats on the hatchers. Sometimes chicks aren't positioned just right and they are what we called malepositioned. She might be a bit sideways in the shell so she pipped under the air cell, or, the air cell may have drawn down farther you think. Sometimes the air cells draw halfway down one side at hatch. Now, if you are seeing blood or veining in the membrane around the pip hole then it's most likely pipped under the air cell. Some malepositioned pippers do just fine hatching by themselves, others may need assistance. I'd give her 16-18 hours so the vascular system can start shutting down and if there's no progress (which honestly, I wouldn't expect there to be that early with a malepositioned,) widen the pip hole a bit so you can make sure there are no little feet or toes above the head and if everything looks ok, moisten the membranes and return her and give her until 24 hours (unless it seems she's distressed) before actually starting a full assist.
That's how I do it. I once had one that pipped in the middle and when I widened the pip hole little toes were dangling out over the beak...lol I knew she wasn't getting out w/o help. I assisted and she is over a year old, getting close to a year and a half and is a great little egg layer, perfectly healthy.
Pleas don't call me stupid I'm new to haching but what is lockdown?
No one's going to call you stupid. At one time none of us knew the basics.
wink.png
Lockdown is the term used for the last three days of incubation (day 18 for chicken eggs) where many hatchers stop turning, take out automatic turners and raise the humidity for hatch. Many people are hands off during this time and do not open the bator until the hatch is over. Then there's my side who uses a higher humidity and opens during hatch for various reasons. I personally stop turning at the end of day 13, so lockdown for me is doing the "last" candle, marking the air cells and raising my humidity.

Thank you Amy! I just checked it and still a lot of veining but left it alone. I haven't had one pip early with so much veining. Guess it really wants to meet everyone. Lol. We have the cutest chicks! They are all half frizzle or Silkie bc they have feathered legs and the other roosters did not. All our hens have feathered. 9 hatched so far
2764.png

7 left and the 3 with the one pipped are internally pipped and chirping. The 3 above- have no movement and no internal pips. So I'm not sure but I kinda think those 3 died after lockdown. Day 21 starts this evening

Thank you Amy! I just checked it and still a lot of veining but left it alone. I haven't had one pip early with so much veining. Guess it really wants to meet everyone. Lol. We have the cutest chicks! They are all half frizzle or Silkie bc they have feathered legs and the other roosters did not. All our hens have feathered. 9 hatched so far
2764.png

7 left and the 3 with the one pipped are internally pipped and chirping. The 3 above- have no movement and no internal pips. So I'm not sure but I kinda think those 3 died after lockdown. Day 21 starts this evening
Doing good! Eventually I'd like to add a couple of frizzles. They are different. lol

This is the one who pipped in the middle of the egg yesterday. No change in 24 hours and the membrane around the hole was dark yellow and hard and kinda like glue. I noticed no veins so I took it out and the membrane was stuck to it and very sticky. There was green/yellow goo everywhere and I freed it. But I put a paper towel around it and felt wetness- a green watery goo came out of its stomach I think. Is this what shrink wrap is? Or something to do with piping in the middle etc. I hope he survives!

Back
Top Bottom