when do you start the "days" count down.

Which day do you start counting the days for the eggs to hatch?

• The day they were laid

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The day they went into the incubator

Votes: 7 100.0%

• Total voters
OMG, this is my first hatch and I thought I'd been SO careful... It turns out I actually did lock down on day 17, by mistake, thinking it was day 18. The poor things were not turned that day. I also reduced the temp to 37C from 37.5, and of course whacked up humidity too early. No wonder nothing is happening today, as it's really day 20, not 21.i hope I haven't killed/ hurt them.
if none have pipped you can open the bator and tap a few eggs with your finger while they are next to your ear and listen for chirping.

it takes 504 hrs to incubate an egg. thats 21 twentyfour hour intervals

this 1st day stuff is confusing

if you set at 9pm Monday the 2nd, then at 9pm on Tuesday the 3rd is the end of day 1. you have been incubating for 1 day.

day 21 is over at 9pm on Monday the 23rd.

you should put into lockdown 72 to 48 hours before the end of the 21st day

In this scenerio you would lock down between 9pm friday and 9pm saturday, based on how your aircells look or how much weight the eggs have lost.

With my well calibrated bator running at 37.5, I would expect pips by Sunday morning and most hatched by Monday morning with the stragglers done by 6pm on Monday. Rarely I get a viable chick hatch after that time.

If your bator isjust 0.25C lower, add 12 hours - 24 hrs.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for explaining the intricacies, it is officially day 21 in 2 hours.
I turned temp down from 37.5 to 37, on Sunday, 3 days ago, (day after I stopped turning)
I have 1 pipped shell, no sounds.
I could up the temp again, if that would be better for them to 37.5(I was following Brinsea incubator suggestions.) as don't want to slow things down unnecessarily.

Other thing is there are 2 types of egg. The light Sussex ( big eggs) have very variable sized airsacs. Some are a bit small looking.
The cream legbar are looking a lot more uniform. Nice big airsacs The overall weight loss was averaging out perfect on day 17, guess they're all individuals.

This is crazy, I was so offhand when I was expecting my human babies, weird how this is such a nail biter!

Thank you so much for explaining the intricacies, it is officially day 21 in 2 hours.
I turned temp down from 37.5 to 37, on Sunday, 3 days ago, (day after I stopped turning)
I have 1 pipped shell, no sounds.
I could up the temp again, if that would be better for them to 37.5(I was following Brinsea incubator suggestions.) as don't want to slow things down unnecessarily.

Other thing is there are 2 types of egg. The light Sussex ( big eggs) have very variable sized airsacs. Some are a bit small looking.
The cream legbar are looking a lot more uniform. Nice big airsacs The overall weight loss was averaging out perfect on day 17, guess they're all individuals.

This is crazy, I was so offhand when I was expecting my human babies, weird how this is such a nail biter!
hang in there

a pip is a great start

I have a beautiful little boy! Jumping around for hours chirping! The other ones haven't started anything visible yet, anyway am a new mum to 1 at least... Xx

Hi Everyone who has got back to me, 11 out of 11 hatched - eventually... Mainly amazingly healthy and strong, but the last ones had a few issues, not as strong, too much humidity, for too long, I think due to being high for the extra day, and I should not have dropped the temperature... big bloated tummies when hatched, ( they're fine now) and have little girl who had unabsorbed yolk sac, and then has straddle leg that I'm trying to sort, she's such a cry baby! Here are the piccies:

Back
Top Bottom