When do you take action?

Should I inform a breeder that her she's sold me are dying?

• Yes

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

ryan820

Songster
10 Years
Dec 30, 2010
Colorado
Hey everyone--

Back in at the of March we took possession of our 6 beautiful lavender opringtons. They were bred locally and we were super excited to add these to our flock and continue fwd with them as breeding stock for our own.

However, within the first two weeks we lost a peep-- which happens. However, several weeks later we had one go lame-- could stand and would fall fwd if she tried to walk. She showed signs of stabilizing but she would never walk and so I made the hard choice and culled her. It was the humane thing to do.

During this time I contacted the seller and she nicely talked me through some things she's done in the past with her flock in general and I followed her advice; however, during this time another lav orp went lame. I found a mass under his left wing and within days he was found dead-- I didn't even have the chance to humanely put him down.

I called the breeder again and NO response.

And then, just two weeks ago another lav orp has gone lame and he shows signs of worsening-- I suspect I'll cull him this week when my 7 y/o is at a practice so she doesn't have to keep witnessing these chickens dying!

Today we came home from a camping trip to find yet another that has gone lame.

At this point you might suspect something is crazy wrong with my set up or my coop, or food etc. However, I have 12 other chickens, half are varieties of orps, all thriving, including yearly white orps that really are doing well.

The only common thread is this breeder and the lav orps.

I posted this in this forum because clearly something is wrong with these birds but it doesn't seem to be communicative in so far as I can tell considering the rest of the flock, including this year's other peeps, are doing very well.

I'm not even asking that people help me diagnose because, well, the chickens are basically all dead now. Instead, I'm seeking advice on what to do next.

If the breeder (who I don't believe has any ill-intent) doesn't know of a potential genetic issue, she should be told, no? Or at least that there is a consistent issue with her birds. Or if she does know then she should know that people know of this issue and frankly she should be ashamed of selling ill birds. She's not hear to comfort my kid when another one of her birds dies. Makes me kinda angry.

However, I'm assuming no ill-intent.

What would you do??

Moderators-- if this should be in another forum then please move it. Thank you.

I would call her up, and carefully approach the subject. You have every right to let her know. She is probably going to assume you are seeking money, or assume it is your fault somehow. Unless she knowingly sold you birds from a sick flock. The fact that you contacted her once, she was willing to talk and the 2nd time she wasn't, kind of leads me to believe she may know what's going on. I hope I am wrong. I always isolate newbies. 2-3 months. Sounds as if it may be genetics since your other birds are fine. Good luck, let me know how it goes.

Well I did let the seller know of my experience and that was a week ago-- and nothing in reply.

If someone told me I sold them genetically feeble birds and they all died, I would be responding with at least something.

I won't be able to do a necropsy as I destroyed the birds. I honestly didn't even think of that at the time as I have a young kiddo who is very much involved with our chickens and I needed to move her past the pain of the situation.

Good news, though-- the rest of my flock is healthy and strong and rocking the egg production. My only lav orp survivor is of good weight and general health. I expect her to be with us for a long time (hopefully) though she won't be allowed to breed as I fear she'd be a carrier.

Back
Top Bottom