When do you usually "restock" your flock?

My general rule is get new chicks in the April/May of the current flock's 3rd year and sell off that old flock during August/September since they are still laying reliable well there is a market for them. That will leave you a month or two before the new chickens begin to lay.

For hatchery stock (about 85% of all the chickens out there) people usually replace their flock at 2-3 years of age. Sometimes even the following spring.

For non-hatchery, show quality, heritage, etc type chickens - Replacement happens, in good birds, at 5+ years of age. A lot of people have productive hens at well beyond 7 years old, and worthy roosters at 6 years, sometimes more.

My hatchery layer flock will probably be replaced as soon as this coming summer ends, but my non-hatchery girls and boys will only be replaced by better quality birds or when they truly get old, probably in 8 years from now.

Some old breeds like Gamefowl and the original Quechua can live up to 20 years and still be worth it.

Quote:
Wow Lots of mortality there huh? Ah Who ate the rooster.. Predator or owner??
wink.png

Quote:
That is why I will probably first try to sell them as layers and see what happens.. The worst that will become of it is I have to seperate little chicks from the big ones until SOMETHING happens!

Back
Top Bottom