When does a rooster's tail grow in ?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickenannie, Feb 14, 2009.

1. chickenannie

chickenannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    I am deciding which of my roosters to keep, and one is a nice purebred Buff Orpington, but I thought he was a hen for a long time because he had no tail feathers! Now he's 5 1/2 months old and is clearly a roo and has a nice comb, but looks kind of girly from the back because he has only 1 or 2 slightly longer tail feathers sticking out maybe an inch beyond the other feathers. In fact I thought maybe he was androgenous, and assumed he was not a good roo to keep for breeding Buffs, but now I'm wondering if maybe some roos don't get their tail feathers for a while. He's filling out nicely. His daddy had nice tail feathers! Anyone know?

Last edited: Feb 14, 2009
  2. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    He probably carries the slow feathering gene. He will pass this to all his male offspring.

3. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    My buff orpington rooster I think took about 9 months to get fairly nice tail. He's 11 months old now and I don't think his tail feathers are all done growing/filling in yet.

4. chickenannie

chickenannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    pips&peeps :

He probably carries the slow feathering gene. He will pass this to all his male offspring.

Is that a bad thing to pass on?​

5. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    It causes more picking. You can usually spot a cockerel way sooner though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by