When does Bumblefoot need treatment?

sydney1497

In the Brooder
Jun 6, 2020
One of my hens has a very small black scab on the bottom of her foot. I have seen a full blown Bumblefoot scab and this one does not compare in size. Do you recommend I still treat it? I normally use the epsom salt soak and Prid drawing salve method. Can I ignore a small one or should I go through the motions?

Thank you

Depends a lot on the progression.

People often do not understand after the Bumblefoot Core has been taken out that the foot should be bandaged and cared for until the wound has healed completely back to how it was, or it will just get reinfected. That said, I try to avoid doing surgery as much as possible because there's less work in it for me, and the chicken can be back out with the flock faster. It avoids a lot of complications.

Do you have a picture? Unless, it looks inflammed or swollen, or the chicken has a limp, I do not treat mild bumblefoot. Here is a good article on bumblefoot:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/bumblefoot-causes-treatment-warning/

Thank you!

These aren't my chickens, however the images I attached look like them. The hen I was originally posting about has a stage 1 foot. Another one has the large solo image and 2 others have either stage 2 or 3. Which of these do you think need intervention?

I might do a whole other post as well to see if I can get multiple opinions!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-07-10 at 11.59.11 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-10 at 11.59.11 PM.png
    787.1 KB · Views: 13
  • Screen Shot 2020-07-10 at 11.53.15 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-10 at 11.53.15 PM.png
    477.1 KB · Views: 14

Back
Top Bottom