When does food get too old?

eggcited2

Crowing
13 Years
Jul 8, 2010
Illinois
I have 5 chicks coming this week (three splash marans, and two buff brahma). All is set up for them, but am wondering if I need to buy new food.

I was going to, but husband found 3/4 of a 50 pound bag of chick food left from last year. It has been stored in our house. He thinks it would still be safe to feed the chicks. I am wondering about the age of it. When does food get too old to feed or be safe/healthy to feed?

Since he is retired now and we are on a limited income, he would like to feed the stuff from last year and it really would help to be able to do so. We don't get much money to live on.

If it was kept in decent conditions and doesn't have a funny smell, or any outward sign of "less than freshness" (I've lost the word...) I wouldn't worry about it. It's pretty much just dried grains, like rice and dry beans you buy at the store. It would take some sort of moisture, I imagine to make it go "bad", so if it's been kept away from that, it should be fine. :)

If it was kept in decent conditions and doesn't have a funny smell, or any outward sign of "less than freshness" (I've lost the word...) I wouldn't worry about it. It's pretty much just dried grains, like rice and dry beans you buy at the store. It would take some sort of moisture, I imagine to make it go "bad", so if it's been kept away from that, it should be fine. :)

I agree, I have often had a bag last 5-6 months w/o problems. No off smells or looks.
Stored in the house is probably better too. Mine is in an open bag in the garden shed.

Imp

Back
Top Bottom