When does meat bird season end?

Quote:
No issues with the cold? I was kind of under the impression these Cornish are "delicate" -- too hot, they die. Too cold, they die. Look at them wrong, they die.

But probably not as bad as turkey poults! Those look for every excuse to die.

Quote:
No issues with the cold? I was kind of under the impression these Cornish are "delicate" -- too hot, they die. Too cold, they die. Look at them wrong, they die.

I guess it depends on what you call cold. I wouldn't be afraid of losing any unless it got down below 20 w/ some wind (that's on the pasture). Our Oct/Nov temps are usually around 50 for the highs and 30's at night. They do eat more when it's cold, but they get nice and big by 8 weeks (5-7lbs). Last year I dropped down to a 18% feed when the weather started to cool to give them more corn in their feed to help keep them warmer.

Thanks. I'm in SE Michigan, so our climate is basically the same.

I'm raising this first batch now, 10 days old. I was thinking about trying a second batch. My local feed store gets chicks one more time, first week in July, but I could always do mail order.

Quote:
I've heard good things about Townline Hatchery (Zeeland), and they should be somewhat close to you. I use Eagle Nest Poultry, which is in the upper part of Ohio, and would also be close depending on how SE you are.

so then if we were yo start a batch of meat birds in mid aug they should be ready for freezer camp by the end of oct then and not have to worry about them if we happen to get a inch or 2 of snow as long as we keep plenty of water and feed for them we are up in central maine sometimes we get a dusting of snow the end of oct i just havent made up my mind on the cornishx chickens yet ive heard so many things about them im almost just thinking the dual purpose might be the way for us i know it takes lots longer to grow them and they arent as big but i also like the idea of them being able to breed them selves so i wont have to keep ordering chicks so much also ill try anything once and see how it gose then decide for sure

Quote:

yuckyuck.gif

Back
Top Bottom