When does 'peep' turn to 'bok'?

mshirk

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 28, 2011
Sammamish WA
My chicks are getting so big (3 weeks) and I'm wondering when the peeping will switch over to the bok bok bok of the adult? Is it gradual or abrupt? I find the adult chicken sounds so relaxing, and the peeping is starting to make me feel like a baby crying...

hahaha
smile.png
in my experience it happens gradually... around 8 weeks old. kinda funny to hear them making the transition
big_smile.png

...once they grow up, eventually you'll miss the peeping!

Last edited:
Hmm, it kinda slowly changes. They go from always peeing to peeping and chirping, eventually more chirping and it gets deeper as time goes. I know that when they have all of their feathers, (forgot how long that takes) they still peep for quite a while. I'd say probably a few months before it's all clucking.

Thanks so much for the quick replies! For some reason today the peeping was getting on my last nerve, usually I think it is cute. Every time I peek in the garage to make sure they are ok they go NUTS
smile.png

Mine aren't six weeks yet, and I'm already getting a few strange sounds that aren't peeps, but certainly aren't clucks either. My last chicks were two years ago, but if memory serves correctly, it starts around 2 months...clucking by 3 months or so.

I LOVE YOUR SIGNATURE! Twihards all the way
YAY!!! Finally someone gets it! lol.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Im completely,stupidly, unavoidably addicted to BYC
And so the girl fell in love with the cockerel
what a stupid girl
what a sick masochistic cockerel

Named 3 of my girsl Bella, Alice, and Rosalie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom