When does the copper neck feathering come in on FBCM chicks?

dhh

In the Brooder
9 Years
Sep 9, 2010
Texas
I have 6 week old FBCM's 3 roosters and 5 pullets and am wondering when the copper feathering will show up?

Thanks!

Quote:
On some it will never show up, and do not believe there is a set in stone when it should showup on others, Some of it is in the different lines . Realize that the males can showup with Copper, wheat, and Mahogany, if you have very many chicks you will get some of all three, Don

HI,
Just want to add that my roo did not show beautiful color until he was closer to a year and a half.
He had cooper,but not like I was seeing in the BYC pictures.
I was so disappointed in him.then a recent molt and he is knockout beautiful.
smile.png

Also, I think he knows he is beautiful the way he is strutting around the girls
smile.png

I have three coppers, about 6 weeks old, from the same hatch and two of them are showing copper color while one of them is not.
I don't know what this means as these are my first copper marans. How do you know their sex? Did you sex them or are you going by looks? I think I may have at least one roo in the bunch by the size of it's comb.
Cathryn

In normality, a cockerel should show up some little bits of coppering once he's 2 months old, then continue on from there.

A pullet may take 2 months or more until her coppering shows up, but a lot of them just plain never have it or have the tiniest amount.

To say in general - One should have coppering show up as soon as they're fully feathered.

Quote:
These are my first marans, too. I sexed them because there is a significant difference in comb size and body type. I hope I'm right!

I will, too. I'd love to have your advice. Be patient, might take me a minute...these kids are very active!

67456_pc040025.jpg

This is one of what I believe is a pullet. No comb showing.

67456_pc040028.jpg

This is one of the roosters. I'm glad I did this because I am now able to see a little copper feathering showing up on him! His comb is much more evident, may be hard to see in this pic.

67456_pc040030.jpg

Same rooster, unfortunately comb got caught off in photo, but you can see what I mean about body type!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom