When getting only 3 hens should I get the same breed or can I mix them

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Jiskra, Jun 19, 2010.

1. Jiskra

Jiskra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Maryland
    I originaly wanted to get 3 australorps, then I was looking into other breeds and would now liek to get one australorp one red star and one easter egger. I am not sure if it's ok to do that or if they would be happier if they were all the same breed?

2. bufforp89

bufforp89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Chenango Forks NY
    You can mix them fine. I have several breeds running together including bantams and standards. Good luck with your 3, im sure you will have many more before too long!

3. monita

monita Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2009
    Shelbyville, Tennessee
    Mix all you want....lol. They aren't prejudice....lol.

4. palochknldy

palochknldy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Palo, Iowa
    We just picked our pullets up 3 weeks ago and they are all different. They get along fine. They are in a chicken tractor with attached pen. They have a little squabbling, but I think you will have that in any situation. It's funny because they seem to have a buddy and that's who you usually see them laying with. The Barred Rock and California White are buddies and the Golden Comet and Rhode Island Red stay together. We got all different ones so we could tell them apart and watch their different personalities. Good Luck.

5. Jiskra

Jiskra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Maryland
    thanks guys, I ended up ordering 1 australorp, 1 easter egger and 2 red stars. They should get here on July 6th, very excited!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by