When hens are moved how long till they lay again?

K9PINES

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 26, 2011
Its been almost 2 wks since we got 3 red comet Hens and One Orphington. I was told on purchase that they were laying. They appear to be very healhty

We kept them in a brand new coop (brand new chicken owners :) ) for 7 days with nesting boxes appropriate food. They have now been free ranging for 5 days.

Lots of stuff for them to forage on as we live on the wooded Mtn side (with grassy areas). They seem content and eating well.

However none of them have layed an egg. We also got an Ameracauna hen from the same person and she is laying. The Amaracauna has missing feathers on her back
from being bred but none of the reds or the Orp have missing feathers. I am thinking we were sold old non laying hens.

These birds were all together in a confined pen.

We gave them bread soaked with buttermilk yesterday too.

What do you guys think???

Thanks

Melisa
www.k9-pines.com

if an egg is already forming,they cannot hold them, they have to come out sooner or later (trying hold a poo in; not the same thing, but the same concept of not being able to hold it)

i moved mine an hour and a half in a dog crate, put them in a new coop (they were new to me), and within 10 minutes had an egg in the nest.

my banty, on the other hand didn't lay an egg for a week. after she started laying, she has laid regularly (i am still surprised that banty eggs are not as small as i thought they would be)

I got some laying hens that went almost 2 weeks before they laid a single egg for me. If they are free ranging, just make sure you do the egg hunt all around. I found some under a soft sided rain barrel. I thought they were holding out on me.

Saltysteele

That makes a lot of sense and I had not even thought of that. I get the concept for sure and after I read it, I called hubby and read your reply to him.

I appreciate your reply and I will also send the boys out on an Egg hunt they will like that (6 almost 7 yrs old and 8 yr old that is amazed by the whole egg laying process).

Melisa

Back
Top Bottom