when I mostneeded help, no one was there

redtailross

Songster
10 Years
May 18, 2009
Salcha, Alaska
So this probly should go in pests and predators, but I am well aware of what I have to do to get rid of it...
This is a post about my dissappointment in people, my friends...

I am a millitary spouse, with a husband who is deployed, we only have three weeks to go. Im so excited.

I have managed to get through the last five months of bizarre issues, all by myself with little help, I hate to ask. Im a grown up and a strong woman, who likes to try and do things myself.
For example trying to get my car started whilst it was -50 deg F outside, with a small charger...In the end i needed help, but I tried for hours before I called for help.

So here I am with a fox problem, it has eaten 15 animals in the last month. I have been chaisng it off, but fianlly have to get rid of it.

A friend called last night and said her husband would come round and shoot it for me as I have very little experience with guns. They told me to hang some bait and they would be round in an hour or so, that was at 8.00pm last night...

they never showed, but the fox did, and injured my mother goose who is on eggs, i managed to shoot in the vacinity of the fox, but I don't think I was even close, he dropped the goose and ran off...this was at 4am this morning...I am still sitting on my deck , with the geese, the fox returned, and I took another shot....no hit.

So here I am...freezing my bottom in as it must only be 35 deg, in my jarmas, with the handgun, waiting for another go, but jaded.

They should have just said, deal with it Laura, I would have appreciated that more than an offer of help, and a no show.... at least I would know where I stood.

Are there people out there that keep their word, as I have not met any... Are there peopleout there that like to do a good turn?

I know if someone had asked for our help, we would have been there and not not leave until the job was done!
thanks for listening...

A tired, cold and dissapointed Laura

Hi Laura, sorry you are having problems. I know the feeling of not being able to depend on anyone
sad.png
That fox will keep coming back until he gets what he wants (usually all the birds). I had a similar situation last spring. Fox took 4 ducklings and 4 silkie chicks. I fought him off til 2 am, and thought he was gone. I was sooo wrong. I have a BB rifle now and I am a horrible shot too. I think I am more afraid of shooting the bird (cause thats my luck) than getting lucky and actually hitting the fox. Thats when I grab the gun and swing it like a baseball bat, I never get close enough to hit it though. Hubby laughs, and hands me the aluminum bat in the shed. Whats the point of the gun
roll.png

Can you set a trap? I now have live wire around the perimeter of the coop and pen. Nothing is more satisfying that seeing a fox get zapped and fly about 10 feet in the air
clap.gif
I have not had any problems this year * knocks on wood * Good Luck !!

*cuddles*

thats not cool. There are good people out there.. and if you cant find any, move to Australia with me, at least its warm down here
smile.png

And my name is Laura too, that made me smile when I saw that

I'm so sorry your friend let you down. I'm sure you have enough on your plate all ready without that disappointment. I admire the women who have deployed husbands. It isn't easy. Many of us don't have the house skills that our husbands have. I'm certainly not mechanically minded. Hope you scared the fox away for the moment. Is there any way you can secure your animals for the night? No doubt,he will be back. Let us know how this comes out. Hugs.

Sorry for you, if you live in the frontier, you need proper equipment and learn how to use it to survive .

I mean all king of stuff and toys containing words "gauge", and nice numbers like .22 .38 .45.

The higher the number the better.

I did try to get a 22. but as Im not a US citizen they ahve to do an extrabackground check...even though I thoughtbrits were classed as aillies...

So I habve to wait until Thursday, and I can get it wether or no i have a background check???

Wehave rifle and a shot gun, but they are heavy, and I am a girly wimp with the kick back.

This summer will be some serious range time...
5.47am freezing and still no sign of Fox... I have all day...

I know what you mean. We have always helped people and recently discovered that they disappear when we need help. When they want something they will call. WE quit doing for most. My husband still does anything for his brother but his brother uses him to no end and doesn't do anything to help us. He mostly does harm. It really makes me angry sometimes but most of the itme I just keep my mouth shut. Times have been hard the past few years and nobody helps us. He loaned him his chain saw to cut a tree from his pump house but he said he don't want to use it unless my husband is there it is to dangerous. That is a ploy to get him to cut the tree down for him. My husband will use it without him here. Oh well, some people are just users and some are just the use-ee.

Sorry that you are having to deal with this by yourself.
Here is the info for the DNR in Fairbanks which would be the closest one to you:
3700 Airport Way
Fairbanks, AK 99709-4699
(907) 451-2705
Fax: (907) 451-2706
TDD: (907) 451-2770
I know fairbanks has a Fred Meyers perhaps you can get a trap. That's probably what I would do but the DNR might be able to put you in touch with someone that deals with Nuisance animals (which that fox is!!)
Good luck!!

Last edited:
Sorry your friends bailed on you. That sucks.

Look at it this way: The more you rely on yourself, the more you will learn how to rely on yourself and learn how to figure things out on your own.

That's what I tell myself every time I get stuck doing something on my own, anyway.
wink.png
At this point, I am gracious about offers of help, but don't really expect any. So then when someone does show up to help, it's sort of a pleasant surprise. If I really need help on something, even from friends, I am sure to pay them in money if they'll accept any, food and beer if they don't want money. Usually they are happy to help if they know there's beer in it for them.
tongue.png

Laura,
Sorry you are in this pickle. I know how it feels to have someone say they'll do something and never bother. It's sucks.

As for the gun thing, I'm no good with them either. We have a hand gun but I doubt if I could hit the broad side of a barn with it!!

Oh, and I'm a US citizen and you should see the problems I have crossing back in the states from Canada! I live here, was born here, have a freaking US Birth Cert, SS Card and DL. Still have to go through the whole "sit over there ma'am til we get this worked out" crap EVERY TIME!!!! I can't imagine that I look remotely like a terrorist...LOL I just love the bureaucracy! So don't feel bad, I bet they'd hassle me if I wanted a gun too!!!

Is there anyway you can bring you birds in for the night. I know it sounds like a lot of clean up , but putting them in the bathroom or something at least would keep them alive til you could work out the fox issue.

Sorry I live so far away, my hubby and I would be there to help if you called...... ((((hugs))))

Back
Top Bottom