When/If to help hatch

NSChickenMamma

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 1, 2011
Our eggs were due to hatch on Saturday. We had 2 hatch then, one overnight Saturday/Sunday then nothing all day yesterday. This morning noticed one more egg that has the hole in it. Went to work thinking we would come home to another little baby ...but no ....Hole in egg is only slightly larger now and it has been 10 hours.
Do we leave it or try to help it a little. If we help it what do we do??
I don't think I am cut out for the stress of this hatching thing !! LOL

Personally I refuse to help. I go by the fact that there's generally a reason the can't hatch on their own. I helped once and the chick that got my help had neck problems and had to be culled anyways. I use that as a reason to never help again. Others will disagree but this all just personal opinion.

pick the egg up and put it to your ear. if you can hear tapping they are still happily trying to get out. i had one like that 2 days ago so i pulled a little of the outer shell off leaving the inner lining intact. i took less than half the size of my little fingernail off. by morning the chick was out. poss could have made it without my help though....

Hello. I always followed the don't help rule, but after this last hatch, I am regreting that I didn't. Had an egg that got itself over half unzipped (took 20 hours to get that far). I fell asleep expecting to wake up to a chick. What happened was the egg rolled while it was trying to hatch and the chick died. I opened the egg when I realized it was dead to find its head was positioned in a way it must have suffocated. As far out as it was when I fell asleep, I could have helped a little without worry of messing up any bloodvessels. Feel so bad. I ended up helping the other chick that was trying to get out. Have a cute little Rhode Island Red now. Should have had two.

I agree with Brahmabreeder, I don't help either, BUT there is a reason why the one did not get out, lack of moisture. The "larger" hole is an indicator of a chick that is starting to get stuck. The can't turn, so therefore stay in one spot & peck away in the same spot. With proper humidity throughout incubation & proper humidity during hatching, these issues disappear

Zipped some of the shell last night. Membrane was dry. Moistened it with an eye dropper and wrapped it in a warm wet paper towel. This morning it still hadn't broken out of the membrane. Things were not looking great, so decided to remove the remainder of the shell and the membrane. Re-moistened the paper towel and loosly put chickie in it like a blanket to keep it warm and moist. Unfortunately had to go to work and will not know the outcome until I get home tonight. This chick is HUGE. Cross with a brown layer and a Houdan

This is the little one that I helped out last night.
Not making any sounds even though its beak is moving and not standing up.
I feel so bad for it.

Back
Top Bottom