When is a chicken fully grown?

lablover

Songster
7 Years
Apr 7, 2012
This is my rooster.

He was about 7-8 months old in this picture, but he is now 10 months old. Will he grow anymore, or get any heavier (if he just continues to eat as much as he always does)?

I also have ameraucana and red sex link hens that are about the same age. Will they grow anymore?

Also, about how long do chickens live?

He has reached sexual maturity, yes.

As for size, he may get a little heavier. If he is from a slow growing bloodline, he may continue to grow for up to 24 months of age. Most hatchery lines are fast maturing, so if that's the case, he may be done growing.

Depending on how they are treated, chickens can live 10+ years. The oldest I have ever experienced was a 13 year old EE hen my grandfather had that just passed.

Wow, I was thinking they lived 5-6 years!

The rooster came from a farm, so I have no idea what he is.

I was asking a similar question to someone this weekend. I assume my girls will continue to grow after they start laying. Am I correct? If so, will the eggs get bigger too?

A hen will mature as she lays, yes. She'll reach her FULL size around 12-18 months, a little longer for giant and some exhibition quality birds.

Pullet eggs are generally smaller than hen's eggs. You may not notice too much of size change if they started laying later in life.

Example: A summer or fall hatched pullet who does not start to lay in the winter may start to lay larger eggs to begin with. A spring hatched pullet who starts to lay in the fall of the year may lay smaller eggs, then as the year progresses, the egg size may increase.

Is that clear as mud?

A hen will mature as she lays, yes. She'll reach her FULL size around 12-18 months, a little longer for giant and some exhibition quality birds.

Pullet eggs are generally smaller than hen's eggs. You may not notice too much of size change if they started laying later in life.

Example: A summer or fall hatched pullet who does not start to lay in the winter may start to lay larger eggs to begin with. A spring hatched pullet who starts to lay in the fall of the year may lay smaller eggs, then as the year progresses, the egg size may increase.

Is that clear as mud?
That makes perfect sense,. Thank you!

Depending on how they are treated, chickens can live 10+ years. The oldest I have ever experienced was a 13 year old EE hen my grandfather had that just passed.
13yrs? wow, i had no idea. Not that is a bad thing, i enjoy our girls. How long did she lay? i have understand averagely speaking the first 2yrs are the best then it decreases.

Back
Top Bottom