1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

When is a sunflower head ripe enough...?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by cthrash1, Aug 31, 2009.

1. cthrash1

cthrash1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Somerset, KY
    to cut of and lay in the run for the chickens to pick at? Mine are all hanging and the petals are done, now all the head has are the seeds(white with little black stripe) and the tiny flowers on the seeds... Can the chickens eat the tiny flowers too or do I brush them off?

2. chickiedoodle

chickiedoodle Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2008
    They can eat the flowers too. I pull up the whole plant and toss it to the girls. Mine are usually not quite as ripe as yours seem to be because if I let them go that long the wild birds eat them all first [​IMG]

3. cthrash1

cthrash1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Somerset, KY
    Aw ok... Thanks. Didn't know I could throw in the whole plant, would make things a little easier. Guess I should have left the flowers on it to draw the girls to it... Right now they are looking at it as if it's an alien or something.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by