When is it obvious you've got a rooster?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by silversage03, Mar 27, 2009.

1. silversage03

silversage03 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2009
    Belt, MT
    I have RIRs, Australorps, and SLWs. The RIRs and SLWs are supposed to be pullets, and the Australorps are straight run. They're between 1.5 and 4 weeks old now. Are there any tell-tale signs that would make it more obvious?

2. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    When they make this horrible, stangling noise that sounds somewhat like a crow. [​IMG]
    Sometimes you can tell by combs and wattles and feather type and all that, but truthfully, I never believe it until either the chicken crows or pops out an egg. I've had a couple that had me fooled!

3. Sock Puppet

Sock Puppet Grumpy Hen

Mar 3, 2009
    Mesa, Arizona
    the minute it crows [​IMG]

thats when I knew my RIR was a roo, I just thought it was a really pretty hen, oops.

My first time having chickens [​IMG]

4. cimarron

cimarron Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2008
    Central Tejas
    you might have to wait a bit...our australorp "pullet" started making that adorable strangling sound at about 9 weeks. he also had a very pronounced comb and wattles. now he lives on a jesus farm with a bunch of goats. he could have done worse.

5. neversaychick

neversaychick Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2009
    I am very new at this, but we ordered 20 pullets and 4 roos (RIR). I have 4 chicks without tail feathers at 2 weeks and those four also have lighter colored wings. They are also the ones who like to climb on top of the waterer. I think those are my roos. The biggest clue being no tail feathers where the others have a bunch.

6. silversage03

silversage03 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2009
    Belt, MT
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] Well, this should be an interesting wait! Hopefully I have NO roos, but only time will tell!

7. reveriereptile

reveriereptile Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Northern NY
    It is sometimes hard to tell. I usually go by the comb size and the feather growth. They can be tricky though. I have a BLR Wyandotte that is almost a year old and has to be a rooster since it has the pointed feathers near the tail and it has never crowed yet. It acts more like a hen except when it was a chick and bit me. I wonder if he thinks he is a lady.

8. fzouk

fzouk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    middle Tennessee
    Interesting about the lack of tail feathers! Mine are 6 days old and there are a couple that peep with purpose, it's a clearer more ringing kind of cheep. Do you think that might mean something or are they just accidentally hitting a frequency that carries better? I got a straight run because I do want a rooster or two (I have 20 total) but I hope I don't have lots of roosters- I knew that would be a risk when I ordered though!

Frances

9. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    Quote:I agree 100% because that what I was reading just yesterday, I have 26 pullets right now and I am praying not to have any rooster among them.

Omran

10. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    With alot of breeds, the secondary sex characteristics start showing themselves at 4 to 6 weeks old. Another clue can be the differences in feathering out, as already noted.
    I used this as my guide and was able to tell my brahma boys from my brahma girls at 5 weeks old:

According to UC Davis Veterinary Care Program.
    2. Physical Characteristics (4-6 weeks of age)
    a. Comb – The cockerels comb is medium size and pinkish, the pullets is small and yellowish.
    b. Legs – The cockerel’s legs are sturdy and long, the pullets are finer and shorter.
    c. Tail – The cockerel’s tail is stumpy and curved, the pullets is longer and straight.
    d. Back – The cockerel has a thin line of stub feathers down the center of his back, the pullet has more advanced feathering along the center of her back.
    e. Side of neck, flank and crop – The feathering in the cockerel in these areas is poorly advanced, the pullets feathering in these areas is well advanced.
    f. Wing bows – In the cockerel the wing bows are bare, in pullets the wing bows are covered with small feathers.

**Keep in mind that I was comparing chicks of the same breed and not apples to oranges, so to speak.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by