When is it time to switch to layer feed?

I have 13 pullets and 2 cockerels that just turned 16 weeks. I have been feeding an organic grower/broiler feed which I ferment.

I came to this thread because I was unsure about how to feed once the pullets started laying; stay with the broiler feed and offer oyster shell on the side, or go to a layer feed and hope for the best for the males. The more I read, the more confused I got, especially when I followed that link to Hyline.com - way too "big breeder" and scientific for me!

These are just heritage breed backyard chickens which I plan to use to supplement our table with meat and eggs. I'm hoping to brood naturally and keep my flock together.

Right now, I am leaning towards keeping them on the broiler feed and offering oyster shell on the side. I use Countryside Organics and they don't offer a Flock Raiser, just the broiler/grower, chick starter, and layer feeds. They get fruit and veggies daily and we are getting our yard secured so they can free range a bit more.

The broiler feed is 19% protein, the layer is 17%. It is my understanding that fermenting the way I do raises the protein levels a bit further.

My question is: should I even worry about the higher protein since they get a varied diet?

I have 13 pullets and 2 cockerels that just turned 16 weeks. I have been feeding an organic grower/broiler feed which I ferment.

I came to this thread because I was unsure about how to feed once the pullets started laying; stay with the broiler feed and offer oyster shell on the side, or go to a layer feed and hope for the best for the males. The more I read, the more confused I got, especially when I followed that link to Hyline.com - way too "big breeder" and scientific for me!

These are just heritage breed backyard chickens which I plan to use to supplement our table with meat and eggs. I'm hoping to brood naturally and keep my flock together.

Right now, I am leaning towards keeping them on the broiler feed and offering oyster shell on the side. I use Countryside Organics and they don't offer a Flock Raiser, just the broiler/grower, chick starter, and layer feeds. They get fruit and veggies daily and we are getting our yard secured so they can free range a bit more.

The broiler feed is 19% protein, the layer is 17%. It is my understanding that fermenting the way I do raises the protein levels a bit further.

My question is: should I even worry about the higher protein since they get a varied diet?
You can use the 19% feed, when you ferment feed and grain you do not raise the protein.
Fermenting makes the proteins thats there more usable in some cases.

You can use the 19% feed, when you ferment feed and grain you do not raise the protein. 
Fermenting makes the proteins thats there more usable in some cases.
so, in practicality, it is increasing the amount of protein the animal is receiving even if it is not increasing the protein. So animals fed the fermented food would receive more benefit and use of protein versus those fed plain.
Not disagreeing with you, just saying I understand why someone would say it that way.

so, in practicality, it is increasing the amount of protein the animal is receiving even if it is not increasing the protein. So animals fed the fermented food would receive more benefit and use of protein versus those fed plain.
Not disagreeing with you, just saying I understand why someone would say it that way.
Correct, well if your fermenting grains and especially grains like Oats, Barley, and BOSS then you would see a increase of protein that the bird receives but if your fermenting a mash, crumble or pellet the chances are there is going to be little deference in protein intake since the feed is already designed for maximum nutrition intake.

Also on fermenting feeds (not grain) unless you are feeding back the liquid, your loosing a lot of nutrition.
wink.png

I feed soured grains mostly oats and you can (if done right) get a positive outcome out of it.

I'm at about the same stage with my new girls - getting close to 17 weeks and I've noticed a change - maturity - beginning to develop and they are making more sounds than they use to - what exactly is the "egg song"? I assume they start making some type of throaty grunting cackle - which is what mine are doing. I need to get their next boxes in the coop. I don't want to start finding eggs in all types of add ball places!

I have 15 week olds to 1 year olds should I use layer feed already?
welcome-byc.gif

15 Weeks is a bit young, but you will need to provide extra calcium in some form for the older hens. An all flock feed with crushed oystershell or egg shells on the side would work well. Once the youngsters start laying, with them all to layer.

Back
Top Bottom