When is it time to switch to layer feed?

My flock is a mixed age difference of four weeks. I have some laying and some not so they are still on the starter/grower feed until all is laying and i put out the oyster shell in a seperate bowl for them to eat as they feel they need. :) Im new and not an expert just after a lot of researching this is what I opted to do until all are laying.

Hey I'm a newbie at having my own girls, but am enjoying learning with all the great info i have found from others more seasoned.
I was told to get them on 16% protein with probiotics included in the feed so i just went to the feed store to get an upgrade from "chick starter" to "layer feed"- (pellets) for my 11 & 12 week old's.
I wasn't given a choice for "grower feed" ??
Also upped on "grit and shell combo" from "chick grit".
So far today they have been all fine with the change. Hope that was the best thing for me to do ?

My flock is a mixed age difference of four weeks. I have some laying and some not so they are still on the starter/grower feed until all is laying and i put out the oyster shell in a seperate bowl for them to eat as they feel they need. :) Im new and not an expert just after a lot of researching this is what I opted to do until all are laying.
I use flock raiser for everyone and provide free choice crushed oyster shell.

I also ferment my feed.
http://tikktok.wordpress.com/2014/04/13/fermented-feed-faq/

Last edited:
We faced the same question this past January with a mixed flock of 8 bantams. Being the middle of winter it was anyone's guess when they might start laying. As first time chicken people, we read everything we could find and finally decided to go with the feed manufacturers guide and switched from chick starter to layer feed at 18 weeks. Two weeks later one Bantam Brahma (Myrtle, my favorite) became lethargic and stopped eating. Her crop was full and squishy and we suspected an impacted crop. Two days later she died.

Needing to learn something from this loss we sent Myrtle to Murray State University for an autopsy. Their determination of death: renal gout from excess calcium in a non laying hen. The autopsy fee of $75 was money well spent as we changed food immediately. Less then a week later our other Bantam Brahma laid her first egg. We consulted with the feed manufacturer, who was very interested in learning more of our case. Their recommendation was to adjust feeding to the youngest bird and if all weren't laying it was best to feed a non calcium enriched food and provide oyster shell. It's amazing how the hens know when they need a boost in calcium and take what oyster shell they need.

We now feed Flock Raiser Crumbles and keep oyster shell available all the time. This gives the girls the ability to regulate their calcium intake. Something that isn't possible with a laying feed. Bantam's tend to go broody often causing a suspension of egg production. Not sure how quickly this affects their calcium needs, but we don't want to take any chances.

We never would have believed how much there is to learn about chickens! It continues to be a challenging and rewarding adventure. Good luck!

I only feed medicated feed until they are 12-13 weeks old..... I buy the unmedicated finishing feed then, but by then, they are pecking around the yard eating all the other stuff.... I only have to fill up their feed bucket once a week and there's 10 of 'em..... and I throw 'em cracked corn and such.....

SpringChild - I work at True Value. They should be able to special order you a non-medicated feed as long as the warehouse stocks it. We do it at my store for. O additional cost. My store doesn't carry some of the items I use for my chickens, but almost always I can order it in special. You might ask the employees next time you are in if you have specific types of feed you want. Might be surprised!

Back
Top Bottom