When is it too late in the year to start raising chickens?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chippylyons, Aug 8, 2013.

1. Chippylyons

Chippylyons Just Hatched

Aug 8, 2013
    I just got interested in getting chickens, and I really want to get moving on it, but I was wondering if it is too late in the season. What recommendations do people have for getting started in mid to late August/early September (are there even chicks/pullets available in September?). Would it be better to wait until next Spring? I live in Portland, OR and plan on keeping the little ones inside until they are big enough to go outside.

Thank you!

Last edited: Aug 8, 2013
  2. No it is not too late. Yes there are chicks available from hatcheries or even locally. No it is not better to wait (my opinion),

You can really benefit getting chicks now as they will be ready to lay in late winter/early spring.

Wish ya the best.

1 person likes this.
  3. flockman

flockman Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2010
    Northern Indiana
    You can still get chicks now. It is not too late. I would not want to get them in the middle of winter.

4. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    No, it is not too late, and you'd have to start them inside anyway. They will be large enough you will WANT them outside about the time our lovely cold rains set in, but by then you can have a cozy, water tight coop for the pullets with a little run.. Also, you very likely won't get eggs until next year (spring) as the short winter light will keep them from laying in the usual 4 months or so (which would be about December)....unless you buy older pullets and not baby chicks...which would give you a head start. When I started later chicks, I didn't get eggs until almost 7 months.

I live in your area too, and finding them this late is a little trickier with our local places; however, a couple of places still have chicks (the major feeds store only stock in spring). Otherwise you have to go find a small farmer...easier if you visit one of the local Chicken swaps or connect with their online forum.

I'll post links that have chicks now below.

Good Luck on your new endeavor,
    Lady of McCamley

http://www.ludemans.com/ click on the Healing Ponds Farm and Garden center. Located in Beaverton. Call and ask for Tammy, she is very knowledgeable. They had a lot of chicks in when I visited just a week ago as well as a number of pullets. I think you can pretty much get chicks or pullets through them all year. Their store is linked to an actual farm.

Urban Farm Store in SE Portland has an arrival slotted for August 9th :D As well as earlier chicks that came in.
    http://www.urbanfarmstore.com/ Click on their calendar to see the breeds coming in.

Oregon Poultry Swap
    http://www.oregonpoultryswap.com/
    You just missed the Summer swap in Brownsville; there is another Fall swap in Benton County; more importantly the Spring swap (should you get hooked and want more in Spring or want to trade what you get now) is in Canby. Great places to connect locally. You can connect through the Facebook page and even arrange an outside swap purchase.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2013
  5. goldencomets6

goldencomets6 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2012
    I'm not sure where you are from .. that might make a difference. I don't think it's too late though. In fact, I have little ones hatching as I type this :) .. Just make sure you have a good coop for winter!

6. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    I say go for it! Best of luck to you [​IMG]

7. pilgie

pilgie Out Of The Brooder

I'm going to vote with "give it a try". My gals are only two days old and my Rhode Island Reds are back-ordered (who knew??) so I won't be getting them until early September. I figure that I can only count on today - tomorrow might not come. :)

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I've just got to say, I'm reading through the responses thinking....."sure, ask a bunch of chicken addicts if it's okay to get more chickens" not that we're major enablers or anything!

1 person likes this.
  9. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    [​IMG] Haa haa haa. [​IMG]

Yeah, you went to the wrong place to seek advice to NOT do chickens!

Just beware of the "chicken math" when it hits. [​IMG]

Lady of McCamley (who only wanted 4 when she started...now up to...hmmmm....21???? and growing???? [​IMG] )

10. aggiemae

aggiemae Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2012
    Salem Oregon
    the later in the summer you get hatchlings the more likely it is they will not lay until the days start getting longer next spring. Also you can put chicks out in the coop sooner if they are hatched in the spring as it's warmer

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by