when is it too late?

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by sassy8_11, May 25, 2007.

1. sassy8_11

sassy8_11 Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2007
    I have some eggs from my chickens that i have had for about 3 weeks. are they bad? should i throw them out?

2. DementedHam

DementedHam Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2007
    Southern California
    If they are not refrigerated I'd say throw them out. The latest I will eat an egg is if it has been laid two weeks or so proir to me about to eat them.

3. Whirlwind

Whirlwind Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Tuttle, Oklahoma
    If they are refrigerated they should be fine. The eggs you get at the store may be 3 weeks old before you ever get them.

Also if you are not using your eggs and have extras you can always freeze them. Put one egg in each hole of an ice tray, freeze , pop out and I use plastic freezer bags. Works great for baking.

Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2007
  4. jessupfamily

jessupfamily Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2007
    SW Indiana
    We eat our unrefrigerated and unwashed for up to 3-4 weeks, no problem. We've been doing this for the last 4 years and we've never had a bad egg (or been sick). We also don't have air conditioning, so they are not cooled. We keep them in coolest spot of the counter and out of direct sunlight. In the refrigerator you can use them for a couple of months! (If you only knew how old the eggs in the store were! [​IMG] ) They repackage them over and over.
    Test them before you eat them. If they float don't eat them, if they sink eat them. They will "bob" a little from the air pocket inside, but they should be on the bottom of your container.
    Amy J.

5. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    Can you eat that egg?

If not sure you ought-ter
    then place it in water.
    If it lies on its side,
    then it's fresh, eat with pride.

After three or four days
    at an angle it lays