When is laying season for ducks?

Our morning temps here have been between 55-70 degrees, and they have free choice between Purina Duck food with oyster shell or chicken layer with oyster shell. Maybe I need to get them some feeder guppys or something to interest them so they can snap out of it. The duckling I have will be at least another 5 months till they are laying eggs. Maybe a kiddie pool outing will help them out..

We have silver Appleyards, and they lay year-round, but slow down significantly from December through early March. They are three years old this year, and they took their biggest break yet this past winter, but since early March, they have been producing 1+ egg per hen per day! Go girls!

We find that treats high in calcium (like Grubblies) and feeding their egg shells back to them makes a huge difference. We do not feed a layer feed because we keep a drake. Our ducks free range supervised 2x per day for a total of at least 2 hours/day, and that also makes a huge difference in terms of egg laying we find (we live in Maine, so the ground just starts to thaw in March). We do not provide supplemental light, so the much longer days now also makes a huge difference.

Thank you 3bird, the last time the runner duck got out, she made fools of us all with how well she can get away from us. I will make provisions for them to have some outside time.
In terms of "flock control," we ascribe to the school of routine. Ducks seem to really like a routine and will fall into one pretty readily with the right incentive. Good luck and keep us posted!

Back
Top Bottom