When is the best time to hatch ducklings

perrypoo

In the Brooder
Dec 8, 2015
My duck Perry decided to go broody this winter. And thanks to miss Lydia I got her eggs. But now she's at it again and spring will be starting soon will be ok if I let her hatch them. Since it takes 28 days.

Everything depends on your coop facilities. If you are able to provide a good area free from the elements of outdoor weather effect. (dry, and draft free) your duck should be able to protect her eggs and ducklings as they hatch. You may want to possibly add some warmth once the little ones arrive. Your hatch rate may be reduced due to cold. Not sure where you are located. If you section off an area inside coop as a brooder, you will have better results .
WISHING YOU BEST.
thumbsup.gif

AND SINCE YOU ARE RELATIVELY NEW HERE.
welcome-byc.gif

Thank YOU I'm solo excited this will be my first time hatching duckling with a broody duck. Even though it's cold here in Ct. My little Perry is a khaki Campbell ive been told she might catch them :)

I have 5 ducks that all went broody within a week of eachother. My DH just finished building them a duck house and they love it.
My Q is, should I clean the coop floor (deep litter) around the ducks nests?
I didn't want to disturb them, 2 of them made their nest right next to the door. I have to be careful when I walk in. I would just clean around all the broody ducks, I wouldn't clean their nest.
I put clean/fresh straw down each day. The straw floor is only about 3-4 inches deep right now, it's only about 1 month of "deep litter". I want it clean for the ducklings that will be hatcing in about 2 weeks.
Thanks

I have 5 ducks that all went broody within a week of eachother. My DH just finished building them a duck house and they love it.
My Q is, should I clean the coop floor (deep litter) around the ducks nests?
I didn't want to disturb them, 2 of them made their nest right next to the door. I have to be careful when I walk in. I would just clean around all the broody ducks, I wouldn't clean their nest.
I put clean/fresh straw down each day. The straw floor is only about 3-4 inches deep right now, it's only about 1 month of "deep litter". I want it clean for the ducklings that will be hatcing in about 2 weeks.
Thanks
I use shaving but yes I do go in and clean around the nests not the nests. Mamas keep their part tidy but not the others.

@ Miss Lydia Thank you.
To Anyone: I spent ALL day today reading about "deep litter" pros and cons, but it it mostly for chicken coops. I cant find any discussion on "deep litter" or "deep bedding" relating to ducks. My duck house floor is river rock. I bought tons of straw for the duck house and chicken coop. but now I am not sure if I want to keep using the straw??? because of the bacteria that can harbor under the deep pile up??
I am not sure what to do, any advise would be very welcomed in this matter. I have all the elements in my surrounding property for "deep litter' but it is all wet and covered with snow and slush right now. I cant use it until it dries out this spring/summer. I am looking into wood shavings/chips from one of the local sawmills/logging Co. in my area. I hope I can afford a few truck loads from them. if so I will buy some and keep it dry for refilling my duck house floor, but that hasn't happened yet. Thanks for any help.

:) I use wood shavings and hay

Hi, would you tell me how you use shavings and hay in your duck house and how you clean it up? Do you have any pictures. Thanks I do the "deep bedding" method now, and it does get stinky in one week. I was hoping I could pile it up for months, but I am afraid of bacteria, especially since I am expecting ducklings from my 6 broody ducks. I need some ideas. Thanks

@ Miss Lydia Thank you.
To Anyone: I spent ALL day today reading about "deep litter" pros and cons, but it it mostly for chicken coops. I cant find any discussion on "deep litter" or "deep bedding" relating to ducks. My duck house floor is river rock. I bought tons of straw for the duck house and chicken coop. but now I am not sure if I want to keep using the straw??? because of the bacteria that can harbor under the deep pile up??
I am not sure what to do, any advise would be very welcomed in this matter. I have all the elements in my surrounding property for "deep litter' but it is all wet and covered with snow and slush right now. I cant use it until it dries out this spring/summer. I am looking into wood shavings/chips from one of the local sawmills/logging Co. in my area. I hope I can afford a few truck loads from them. if so I will buy some and keep it dry for refilling my duck house floor, but that hasn't happened yet. Thanks for any help.
I've used deep litter for years for my water fowl even my geese. If you use the bedding that is for horses[shavings] it is easy to go in daily and scoop out the wet poop and then turn over what's left to dry. Straw to me does nothing for bedding the poop just lays there doesn't get absorbed, I stopped using straw about 8 yrs ago. I did buy shaving at the lumber yard for a while but it was too fine more like saw dust so I just buy the huge bails at the feed store now. I use it for chickens, ducks and geese. I also never take all my bedding out once it gets around March though I clean and stop adding as often so during warm months the bedding is usually only 4" deep that way I can spray for mites easier by pulling all the bedding into the middle of the coop and treating the walls and crevices this is only in the chicken coop I just spray the water fowl rooms a few times a year only just in case. I use Oxine ah mixed with water to spray down bedding about 1X a week for sanitation probably isn't necessary but makes me feel better. I add some drops of lavender into this. If you clean daily and it doesn't take long the shaving should not get smelly. Good ventilation helps too. I like your roomy house is there bare ground under the rocks?

Back
Top Bottom