When is the best time to raise chciks if one wants egg.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chick_magnet, Jul 29, 2010.

1. chick_magnet

chick_magnet Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2010
    I bought 20 chicks around mid may. I wasn't really thinking that i wanted them for egg; I just wanted some chicks to play with. As i get more into it, I thought to myself might as well get some eggss while i'm at it. My question is when is the best time to buy chicks to maximize eggs production. I have read that they're best productive when the hens are one year old. I bought my around may-june so i think they won't be laying this year. will they still be laying at their best next year? Would it be better if I bought chicks around october so they will be ready to lay as soon as spring/summer start. Since they need 15 hours of day light to lay eggs.
  2. chickenmom1

chickenmom1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2010
    You usually buy chicks late march or early april. You have to make sure they stay warm though. They usually need about 6 months to lay. If you buy them late, you may have to wait till next year.
  3. 33yardbirds

33yardbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Southern New Jersey
    I also like to get my chicks in March, I have more control over the brooder because the outside temps don't fluctuate to extremes, plus when they go outside in mid May there are plenty of bugs and greens for them. Eggs start coming about Aug. I like Large Fowel, RIRs and Rocks.
  4. briteday

briteday Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Northern NV
    I find that buying chicks the earliest I can manage, usually February (or hatch my own) will give me eggs by late June/July. Otherwise, depending on your climate, some people get chicks in September and they are laying by early March. However, if you brood chicks over the winter you need a way to keep them warm. It generally doesn't work well in winter climates unless you have a heated barn.
  5. newchik715

newchik715 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
    Just as the previous posts said....winter climates are harder for raising chicks. I got mine in Feb. and have had eggs from the beginning of this month. I have three out of six laying now i think. If you get them in October and want to put them out in the coop around 8 weeks or so, you might have a higher mortality rate then if you got them in spring...depends on your area I guess.
  6. sandiatonimarie

sandiatonimarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2009
    Quote:Same here. Bought in Feb, just started getting eggs first of this month.

A couple other thoughts - so much of country is having heat waves - might be hard on shipping chicks if you mail order.

Also on the daylight, some people do put lights the coop in the winter so they can continue to give their chickens enough light to keep egg layiing up through the winter.
  7. greathorse

greathorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Northern Colorado
    In a natural environment the chicks are most often hatched in the spring this so the young birds have a way of growing out without the harsh winter. I have enough room and enough protected places on my property to be able to brood in the fall. I like hatching birds in Oct. so that by the time spring comes around they are getting ready to lay. It does require more care for the birds in winter but I have a facility for that so it works for me
  8. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Depends where you live. Here in upstate NY I usually get mine in May as the temperatures have mellowed our so shipping isn't a problem and brooder temperatures aren't critical. I then have eggs starting in October. The chickens are far enough along by the time it gets cold to do well over the winter.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by