When is the right age to potentially sell baby roosters?

orpingtonnz

Chirping
Feb 17, 2023
New Zealand
Hello,

We have a mama hen and chicks and it seems three of the chicks are roosters. I am planning to post them online to see if anyone is keen to take them, but I'm not sure how old they would need to be to leave their Mum and move to a new flock.

Currently they are around 5/6 weeks old and the mama hen is still giving them food etc.

Thank you :)

6 to 8 weeks onwards is when I would do it.
Most of my hens wean their chicks from 3 to 6 weeks, so chicks are very capable even when quite young.
However, a couple go for 8 weeks or more, but they don't really care that much by then so I don't worry about separating them even if the hen is still being a bit motherly to them.
And you aren't taking all the chicks away, right? I don't think she would even notice they are gone, as long as there is still one or two for her.

6 to 8 weeks onwards is when I would do it.
Most of my hens wean their chicks from 3 to 6 weeks, so chicks are very capable even when quite young.
However, a couple go for 8 weeks or more, but they don't really care that much by then so I don't worry about separating them even if the hen is still being a bit motherly to them.
And you aren't taking all the chicks away, right? I don't think she would even notice they are gone, as long as there is still one or two for her.
I think she has four daughters who will stay with her and three roosters who will go. I think she will be happy still. She is still feeding her chicks at the mo, but I think she is just very maternal. She had had two lots of chicks back to back when I got her, with the chicks I got being the second lot.

It's a shame we can't have roosters in town because one of the baby roosters is actually pretty sweet, but the other two are getting a bit of an attitude already haha.

I think she has four daughters who will stay with her and three roosters who will go. I think she will be happy still. She is still feeding her chicks at the mo, but I think she is just very maternal. She had had two lots of chicks back to back when I got her, with the chicks I got being the second lot.

It's a shame we can't have roosters in town because one of the baby roosters is actually pretty sweet, but the other two are getting a bit of an attitude already haha.
It sounds like she could do with a break!
Four pullets should be plenty to keep her busy, so I wouldn't worry about her at all.
Just make sure that the males are eating on the own, but I have never ever had a problem with that! (if anything they tend to be little pigs at that age)
And you should try and get a post up about them as soon as possible, as cockerels tend to be pretty slow to find new homes.

It sounds like she could do with a break!
Four pullets should be plenty to keep her busy, so I wouldn't worry about her at all.
Just make sure that the males are eating on the own, but I have never ever had a problem with that! (if anything they tend to be little pigs at that age)
And you should try and get a post up about them as soon as possible, as cockerels tend to be pretty slow to find new homes.
Yes her condition has improved a lot since she has been at our house. These are our only chickens so she has a relaxed life.

Back
Top Bottom