when it's all over

Pets are pets. You cant dispose of them once they get older. Once they stop they will be like a cat "if you have friendly chickens" and they will be a loyal pet.

My guys and gals have a forever home, barring any tragic situations, regardless of production. Each one has such an amazing personality. They really are so individually wonderful. They will be cared for until the Lord takes them home.

Some of mine are pets, some of them are production. The pets are the "untouchables" who will be here as long as they are alive. To become an untouchable, the bird has to prove itself... which is usually just lay eggs.
lol.png

I process meat birds at 8 weeks old so they are destined for the pot anyways.

As for old layers, I cycle though the non untouchables every 3 years or so. Their production is great for the first few years and slowly decreases over time.

Well if this tell ya ...I have around 70 or so chickens and the only thing that goes is the poo's ...straight to the pot to eat...the hens have quit almost laying for a while and I am still feeding them and they just love to meet me at the feed room in the mornings...I get maybe 6 eggs each day so these will be here till they pass...roo's on the other hand dont get that option...too many roo's no eggs...I do have some that will crawl in your lap if they see ya sit down so yep got some pet birds...

One thing to consider is that chickens have more to contribute than laying eggs. If allowed to free range, they are great for pest and weed control. I sprinkle bird seed around trees and the house so I never have to weed eat anymore. They also bless us with wonderful fertilizer for gardens.

Mine will die of old age. They haven't even started laying yet though...my polish are now at week 18 weeks so hopefully soon.

I have a good friend that has mostly older chickens. Her Rooster is 13 years old, her hens are around 8 years and she still gets eggs everyday. Usually three or four from 6 hens.

Back
Top Bottom