When life gives you chickens........

nanci1989

In the Brooder
Nov 23, 2015
St. Johns, Arizona
Hello all,

I am new to this forum and a new urban chicken rancher. For years my hubby and I have discussed getting laying chickens and nothing was ever done to go from the talking stage to the doing stage. Well, 3 weeks ago, I went into the back yard and there was a chicken there. It fluttered over the fence and I thought that was that. My husband said something like..."you don't see that every day!". Later that same day, he called me out to his workshop and told me that there were 2 chickens now. Sure enough....3 chickens. That day he began building a coop and last weekend we finished it. Now, how to get them from his workshop into the coop...finally I trapped them with a chicken wire dome and got them into their new home. I was very glad to find this forum as it helped me come up with a chicken moving plan. The chickens are not full grown so I am not sure that they are hens but will cross that bridge when I get there. I have lived in this home for 35 years and never had chickens in the workshop before. I am looking forward to reading about chicken adventures and gleaning advice.

I also better say that the only things I know about chickens came from the old Martha Stewart shows and of course urban chickener blogs.

Thanks for listening,
Newbie,
Nanci

welcome-byc.gif
Hi Newbie Nanci!

Have you checked with neighbors to see where these chickens came from? It's possible that someone raised chicks for awhile not planning to keep them and then released hoping someone would take them in. But there is also the possibility that someone is missing their chickens thinking a predator got them!

The joys of chicken keeping! It's a great thing and there's lots to learn. This is a great place to get questions answered and I also recommend that you check out the learning center and do lots of reading! Do you have pictures of your new flock and their set up?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Last edited:
Hi,
Yep, I checked with neighbors and nothing. I will post pics of the ladies and maybe you can tell me what I have. They are so fun to watch. They have their own personalities, one is timid and the other is bold. They get so excited over bugs they scratch up. Off to the learning center....thanks for the link.

Nanci

Hi Nanci,
welcome-byc.gif

Congrats on your new flock! I'm looking forward to seeing your pictures. The Learning Center link Bridebeliever gave you will take you to a lot of great articles to help you get off on the right foot. And always feel free to ask questions.

Thanks for joining us, it's nice to have you here!

Hi Nanci, nice to meet you. Glad you joined the Backyard Chickens flock
celebrate.gif
. When you get photos of them you can post them here or at "what breed or gender is this?"

Welcome to BYC, Nanci. Glad you decided to join our flock. I'll look forward to seeing your pics. :eek:) X2 on Bridebeliever; if you haven't done so already, definitely check out our Learning Center. There is lots of useful information there. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

Back
Top Bottom