When My Shipped Eggs Arrive What Should I Do?

FYI, sitting just makes the eggs older. If the air cells are disrupted, separated completely, they will not reattach. Saddle cells aren't cells that have reattached, they were only slightly disrupted. The rest is completely not needed. There is no scientific reason to do it. I have been doing this over 3 years and have done so many hatches. The way it was handled during shipment(handling, temp exposure, etc) will determine your hatch rate(given that breeder stock is genetically competent and fertile) so sitting time only reduces your hatchability by making older eggs. If it makes you feel better, then eh, do it, but it's definitely not needed. I figure the eggs are already almost 7 days by the time I get them(sometimes more), why add another day?

Quote:
I understand the Garry Farm's chickens have good genetics and conform to the standard or near so. I just wanted a good heritage breed of good stock to mess with. I want to try my hand at breeding something and trying to keep it as good as, or make it better to conform to what it was originally bred for. There are many different heritage breeds and most of them are rare. Speckled Sussex is just the breed that appealed to me most. Well, I like the Buckeyes and Barred Rocks too, but these where the first I ran across that I could get that I liked. And bottom line, the reason any of us get what we get from where we get it is just because we like it!
big_smile.png

ALso, the Garry's have a great reputation for having good birds, for the way they package their eggs, and for being wonderful people. FYI, they have other breeds besides Speckled Sussex and Delawares. I think Mrs. Garry still has some eggs or chickens for sale in the BYC auction. Seems I saw some Lavender Orpingtons. They were beautiful.

But as for letting the eggs sit, I think I am going to let mine sit for at least 12 hours before incubating. Maybe longer. Depends if I can stand waiting or not. Hopefully one of these days I'll be an old hand at this stuff and there will be nothing to it. Until then, I'm just flying by the seat of my pants. But I'm having fun doing it.
smile.png

Thanks for all your replies. It is very interesting to see the different ways things are done and the way they turn out.

Ahhhhhh, Thank you for the explanation. I currently live in England as my husband is English (I'm from Georgia, love Atlanta!!!!) and I left before I became interested in chickens. Maybe why I've never heard of Gerry Farm.
smile.png

Did you get your eggs? I just did ...... so very happy, happy, happy
celebrate.gif
...... and worried and nervous and sick feeling.
sickbyc.gif

I have 6 Black Belgian D'Anver eggs, 6 Pure Chocolate Orpington Bantam eggs (something about Bob Follows and Rob Boyd Parent stock
hu.gif
), 12 Creole Pekin Hatching Eggs and 18 Polish Bantam Eggs - Gold Laced, Silver Laced, Blue or Black and Whites. I honestly didn't mean to get so many at once but one of my original orders couldn't be sent and I kind of went nuts on ordering more.
ep.gif
I don't know what I'm going to do if they ALL hatch!!!!!
barnie.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom