When My Shipped Eggs Arrive What Should I Do?

Orange Ribbon

Songster
8 Years
Apr 14, 2011
Thanks to everyone who has been helping me get my incubator set up in my other post. Now I'm wondering what to do when my eggs get here in the morning. Do I need to let them sit for awhile before putting them in the incubator, and if so, what does this do? I've got an enquiring mind and just like to know stuff.
big_smile.png

I would have put this with my other post, but thought it might help someone else who needs to know also. I looked back quite a few pages and only found one small thread mentioning it, and I'd like to get more opinions than what I read from somebody with only 30 posts under their belt, if you know what I mean. HA! Not that they might not know, but hey, I like to be safe.
smile.png

I'm getting 18 heritage Speckled Sussex eggs. 12 came from a lady who bought chickens from the Garry Farm, and 6 are from THE Garry Farm. I am also getting 6 Delaware eggs from the Garry's as well. Maybe I should not have just started learning on such good stock, but hey, if it works out I'll have a heck of a good start! So you can see why I ask a lot of questions. My eggs are better than anyone elses! HA! HEY, I'M JUST KIDDING.
lol.png

Oh, yeah, I already have my incubator going so I won't have to wait on it to heat up if that is the reason for letting them sit.

Last edited:
Well, this is another issue that there are different thoughts about. As a rule, most people seem to think it is a good idea to let eggs sit wide end (air cell end) up in a cool, humid, quiet place for 12 to 24 hours before putting them in the incubator. However, there is some evidence that eggs shipped in the summer that have been exposed to high temperatures are already in development, and should be put in the incubator right away. Its kind of hard to know what is the best thing to do at times, so you will just have to read the different thoughts on the matter and then decide for yourself. Kind of like egg washing -- for a long time, I thought it was a big no no. Now, I'm washing them in Brinsea's egg disinfectant before I put them in the incubator, and I think it helps prevent them from getting contaminated. It certainly doesn't hurt, IMO, but its just that, an opinion, simply anecdotal evidence.

I don't let them sit unless they are cold....that said, I don't turn for the first couple of days. Sitting to let the air cells rest is a farse...jmho...
eta- I don't wash or do anything else. pullled eggs from a broody and they were gross. Isolated them in the incubator and they still hatched fine...sometimes I think people overdo it..

Last edited:
Quote:
I agree. I have waited 24 hrs and also put the eggs in the incubator as soon as I have gotten them. I have also put the eggs in the incubator as soon as I have gotten them but waited a day before I turned the turner on. I have had no differences in my hatch success.

I put my last batch in the incubator right away because they went through several days of shipping in 100 degree heat.
They are showing more development last night than the three days I have them set.
I wash the eggs if they are really dirty but you have to be careful because you can end up just forcing any baterial in and defeat the purpose of cleaning them in the first place.
Any water you use has to be warmer than the egg and then dry immediately.
I let them set in the incubator upright for 24 hours before laying them at a 30 degree angle.
Mine are laying horizontal because they are geese eggs.
The aircells look alot better now then they did when they arrived.

Thank you all so much for your replies! I sure do appreciate it a bunch. I'm still studying on it. Anyone else have any opinions?

One thing I did think of was that if you didn't turn on the egg turner for a day or few days, the heat generated from the egg turner motor could have a slight effect on the temperature. So it might be a good idea to check them a little while after turning it on to make sure it hasn't gone up above the maximum you want the temps to be.
smile.png

I once received two batches of eggs over two days. One sat for 24 hours while the second batch sat for about 4 hours, both pointy side down. I had a better hatch rate from the eggs that sat for 24 hours. Oh yeah, I did not rotate or move them at all. Good luck, I hope you get a great hatch!

in the cold days i let them set with the air cell up for about 6 hours before putting them in the bator. but one time i got quail eggs on a hot day. i incubated right away. i only got 5 out of 13, but at least i got SOME.

I'm getting my eggs today and I just plan to let them rest from between 12 - 24 hours. I'm just going on what I've read because this is my first time hatching eggs ...... well, if you don't count me "helping" when I was a kid on my parents' farm and that was eons ago. I'm getting four different breeds of chickens and almost a rainbow of colors. What is the significance of Garry Farm chickens if you don't mind me asking?

Quote:
I understand the Garry Farm's chickens have good genetics and conform to the standard or near so. I just wanted a good heritage breed of good stock to mess with. I want to try my hand at breeding something and trying to keep it as good as, or make it better to conform to what it was originally bred for. There are many different heritage breeds and most of them are rare. Speckled Sussex is just the breed that appealed to me most. Well, I like the Buckeyes and Barred Rocks too, but these where the first I ran across that I could get that I liked. And bottom line, the reason any of us get what we get from where we get it is just because we like it!
big_smile.png

ALso, the Garry's have a great reputation for having good birds, for the way they package their eggs, and for being wonderful people. FYI, they have other breeds besides Speckled Sussex and Delawares. I think Mrs. Garry still has some eggs or chickens for sale in the BYC auction. Seems I saw some Lavender Orpingtons. They were beautiful.

But as for letting the eggs sit, I think I am going to let mine sit for at least 12 hours before incubating. Maybe longer. Depends if I can stand waiting or not. Hopefully one of these days I'll be an old hand at this stuff and there will be nothing to it. Until then, I'm just flying by the seat of my pants. But I'm having fun doing it.
smile.png

Thanks for all your replies. It is very interesting to see the different ways things are done and the way they turn out.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom