When not heat any more

If they are in the house, you should start turning the lamp off for increasingly longer periods of time. What are you using for a bulb, and what size is their brooder? How many chicks? By the time they are 3 weeks old, they should be off heat completely in the house. depending on your set up, if you have them in a room that can be closed off, you could open the window to chill the room to help acclimate them to outdoor temps.

My chicks are brooded with MHP in a grow out coop. By the time they are 4 - 5 weeks old they have weaned themselves off heat completely, with night time temps dipping into 30's, day time temps 50 - 70.

If they are in the house, you should start turning the lamp off for increasingly longer periods of time. What are you using for a bulb, and what size is their brooder? How many chicks? By the time they are 3 weeks old, they should be off heat completely in the house. depending on your set up, if you have them in a room that can be closed off, you could open the window to chill the room to help acclimate them to outdoor temps.

My chicks are brooded with MHP in a grow out coop. By the time they are 4 - 5 weeks old they have weaned themselves off heat completely, with night time temps dipping into 30's, day time temps 50 - 70.

Use Red Bulb
40”long by 24” box
6 chicks
Thank for the info very helpful

instead of buying a new light with less wattage, I just raise the height of the one I am currently using. It has yet to warm up in Indiana. My Rhodes are only three weeks. I still have them on heat because of the temps outside, They are in the garage at the moment. I have a lot of work to do on the barn where the coop is.

I have 17 chicks (6 breeds) that are 3 weeks old. They were in the house for 2 weeks with heat lamp for a few days then a heat plate. Now they are in the garage with the heat plate that they can get under. However, they are feathering out well and over the couple of days, I am finding that many of them are roosting on a bar (no heat) throughout the day. They are mostly away from the heat. I have adjusted the heat plate (which warms mostly through them getting close/touching the plate surface with their backs) to be a little higher each time I change the bedding (about every 3 days). They seem fine, and I think I will begin to turn off the heat during the day. It is still pretty cold here (with about 5" of fresh snow on the ground this morning). We do have a wind shield up to protect the chicks when we open the garage. The wind shield is a tall appliance box that we opened up. Look at their feather development and their activity - they will tell you if they are cold, and may even shiver if they cannot find a warm and/or draft-free spot, however, they likely still need some heat at 2 weeks of age.

Back
Top Bottom