When pine shaving and what type?

froghollowfarm2

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 11, 2009
Westchester
Can anyone tell me when you thinks it's safe to introduce pine shavings for little chicks? And what type of pine chavings do you suggest? I will get my chick delivery next week. I had planned to start them on paper towels, don't know exactly how to keep the brooder dry enough though. I already bought pine shavings from Agway, it's really for horses and the type they say "everyone use for chickens". But I have read in this forum that chicks can die if they eat the pine shavings so I'm a little concerned.
The brooder will be a big cardboard box with extra layer of cardboard in the bottom. I'm palnning to take out and replace the extra layer of cardboard when it gets wet.
Suggestions are appreciated.

I used them from the first day in the brooder, and also put the waterer up and layers of paper towelling under it for absorption. I used the ones at the feed store provided for all livestock. If you smell a bag with too much cedar, use for something else though. I had only one bag out of the last 100 like that!

Like this-

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=7693-A_Brooder

You sound nervous- this *is* going to be fun you know!
lol.png

Last edited:
For the 1st week or 2 use the pine shavings with a paper towel on top of the shavings. Baby chicks need a good surface (not slick-newspaper) so they dont have leg problems. Also you dont want them ingesting any small shavings until they have grit in their craw.

Thank you LynneP and BigRay for your suggestions. Yes, I am nervous. I want those little chicks (most of them bantams) to be healthy. I won't be able to check on them every hour. But I'm sure it will be fun.

Back
Top Bottom