When Plans Don't Pan Out

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by gessieviolet, Aug 11, 2011.

1. gessieviolet

gessieviolet Chillin' With My Peeps

After spending a small fortune attempting to hatch my own eggs to get some "rainbow colored" eggs I decided this year the less expensive way to go would be to order a rainbow mix of 25 pullets from Meyers.

My big plan was to sell all but 8 hens when they reached the egg laying stage. That hasn't worked out but I am having lots of fun with these birds as they grow. My methods and condition are so rustic I have dubbed myself the Redneck Chicken man.

I do live in town limits, I am suppose to have no more than 5 hens, and I have to keep things relatively neat; so far no problem--but interesting everybody around has chickens. Even though the ordinance says "no roosters" it sounds like a farm neighborhood around here starting before day light.

Check out my pictures https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1956670800361.2098721.1350456944&l=23fce1c3a1&type=1

2. N&MSchroeder

N&MSchroeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2011
    SE Idaho
    Nice! [​IMG] What did you get in your rainbow pack?

3. I-Have-Happy-Hens

I-Have-Happy-Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Carrboro, NC
    Nice Ee roo [​IMG]

4. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    [​IMG] Lovely birds...

5. gessieviolet

As to variety I have no idea (they select and guarantee at least 5 different). I did get at least 8 different looking pullets. Only getting white and brown eggs so far. (8 yesterday, so I hope as the others lay color will come.

Rex, the rooster, was a left over from a basically failed last year's hatch. I advertised him for sale, got a call who claimed she coming " as soon as kids get through eating---don't live far away." I put bird in a small cage in the shade so I would not have to traumatize him when she arrived, in less than 3 hours I discovered him dead!

Unfortunately I didn't provide water. Heat was 100+ that day. SHE NEVER SHOWED or called

6. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    Poor chicken, yep gotta keep water available even if it is 5 min. of them being penned. The heat is unforgiving this year.

Back to a more positive thought: was the egg your rooster hatched from blue? If so, you can breed him to your girls to pass that color egg gene and increase chances of EEs that lay green or blue eggs. He is a handsome rooster.

7. gessieviolet

BooBear,

unfortunately, it was this rooster that I managed to send to the great coop in the sky!

I can't decide who to most disgusted with, myself or the woman who prompted me to do such a thoughtless and stupid thing!

Last edited: Aug 12, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by