When should chicks peck through the shell? URGENT !!!!

chickenfarmer96

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 6, 2013
It is the 19th day today at 7:15 am, It is now 6:00 pm and no chicks have attempted to peck through the shell. If you know why replay fast !!

It is the 19th day today at 7:15 am, It is now 6:00 pm and no chicks have attempted to peck through the shell. If you know why replay fast !!

If the eggs were fertilized and incubated, they should be fine.

It takes 21 days for a chicken egg to hatch.

Hopefully chicks will be breaking through within the next couple of days.

Well most baby chicks hatch on the 21st day, sometimes earlier or later. So you're fine you should be expecting some chicks in a few days.
smile.png

I was pretty sure the chicks need to peck through the shell on the 19TH DAY, in order to hatch out of the egg on the 21st day. It's always been like that everytime we incubated. And Yes, the embryo's all have chicks in them. So ..... I dont really know what to think. Anybody with info please reply. :(

I'm guessing that in the past your incubation temps may have been higher. That would explain the early pipping. I have also experienced bantams starting to hatch a day or two earlier than large fowl. Whatever the case may be, 19 days is generally early for hatching. As previously stated, they can hatch anywhere from 2-3 days before , to several days after the 21 days. The 21 days is merely a guideline, not a definite "rule". So relax, go have a cup of hot cocoa and wait. Whatever you do, try to resist the urge to "help". Cracking or pipping the shell too early will definitely cause more harm than good. They'll come when they're ready.

I have 2 eggs In incubator now and they just decided to pip on the 22 day and one is out and the other is half through and resting for a minute. Good Luck with the babies

Back
Top Bottom