when should ducklings have 1st bath

frizzleman74

Chirping
9 Years
Aug 10, 2010
Fairfield County
im getting ducklings and wanted to know when they should have their 1st bath in the tub or the sink? Also how old should they be until we start feeding them little feeder goldfish, thanks!

I gave mine a warm bath at 5 days old. Just make sure the water is warm and not too deep, they should be able to stand up. Also, I would't leave them in for more than 5 minutes the first time, as they very quickly get waterlogged. Then they need a warm brooder to dry off in.
Make sure you have your camera handy!!

big_smile.png

My youngest one in the bath was 12 hours old and the oldest have been 3 days old. I give mine enough water that they can have a splash about a good 3 to 4 inches so that their feet are touching the bottom but they can still have a swim.

I put mine into the bathtub from day 3 on. I have a nice fiberglass tub that is slanted and has a textured floor in it. Works really great for my ducklings. I fill it up with warm water so that is is about 2 inches deep on the shallow end and 4 on the deep end. Make sure they can stand in one part of the tub. Then I sit on the toilet seat and watch them having fun. They are done when they stop splashing and just stand around. At that point I drain the water and make sure nobody gets near the drain. I put the plug back into the drain and leave them in the tub and close the door to keep the dogs out. That gives them about 5 minutes to start preening. They do not have the oil yet, but they learn the motion and how to get water out of their feathers. Now I clean out the brooder and get it ready for them to get back in. I go back to the bathroom, towel dry each duckling, and return them back to the brooder. They gobble up food and sit under the lamp falling asleep a couple minutes later.

Mine are all getting their first one today-I have only been waiting since the it got down in the 40's at night and its a little cool, my baby calls are so small I know its ok around day 3 but I make them wait a week till they are really up and running around being crazy plus plenty warm outside since I dont have central heat. Then like everyone else I put them back in the nice warm dry brooder and towel dry them a little as I put them back in. Yes I worry a little too much about these tiny little ones even though they think they are big tough duckies

Back
Top Bottom