When should I add nesting boxes to the coop?

tarbios2

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 31, 2014
Hi there--
Our chickens are 12 weeks old. We have a ways to go before egg laying time, but I'm curious as to when we should add nesting boxes to the coop? I don't want the boxes to become an area for pooping so I was waiting until the right time... I just don't know when that is...

I say put them in now. Let them get used to it, but don't let them sleep in them. If they try just gently place them back on the roost and they should catch on.

I put mine in when I built the coop and haven't had any real issues of chicks trying to sleep in them. My Australorps tried, but after two nights they got the hint.

How many nesting boxes should I put in there? I only have 2 chickens (who are constantly withing 6 inches of each other
love.gif
) -- would one be enough, or is two better?

I agree. Add them now. I want to know before they start laying if I have a problem so I can fix it before they start to lay.

For only two hens, one nest will be plenty.

You could get away with one. You can use one box for up to four hens.

If you have the space for two boxes and want them I say go for it. With two girls you can really just do what you prefer.

Which leads me to... nest bedding. I've read that straw is great, or pine shavings... we have sand bedding in the coop. What do you all prefer in your nest boxes?

I prefer pine shavings. I feel straw can hold too many bugs and I've battled enough bugs this year. I find it easier to clean and see if there's something "dwelling" in. I'm sure plenty of people successfully use straw so this is strictly opinion.

Yes, it is personal preference. I just cut some old dried up grass during late winter and store that for use. It probably counts as hay more than straw.

People use wood shavings, hay, straw, old rags, pieces of carpet, shredded paper, even Spanish moss. They all can work and someone will say something bad about every one of them. The way I look at it use whatever is easily accessible, inexpensive, and makes you happy.

x 3 - it's just a matter of finding your personal preference based on what is available to you and what you find works best for you/your birds.

I use hay because that is easily accessible/readily available to me due to having horses for whom we have hay on hand at all times. Actually, I have a combination of shavings as a base and then a nice layer of hay on top of the shavings.

Back
Top Bottom