when should I be concerned about duck eggs not hatching?

This is my concern also I am new to duck/chicken raising. I found my nest outside our barn on Sept 26th. Worried about them being outside and how much longer will have to wait. I don't want to disturb the nest and my duck is very "squwacky" when she finds me over there. I posted in the thread last night but, no responses yet. I live in southwestern NY state. So anytime now the weather could turn.

Birds have been hatching their eggs outside for generations, but I definitely understand your concern. Is there is a portable shelter you can place over the duck and her eggs?
The hardest part is being patient. Duck eggs(all but muscovy) are supposed to hatch at 28 days incubation. It is day 29 for mine and they finally piped.

She is in the overgrowth on the side of our barn. I have a chicken coop and an extra rabbit run. Thinking maybe I could cut some of the over growth back and put the coop over her just so she is in the run part. Not necessarily in the coop itself. Will have to give that some thought, just until I can build something better. Thanks for the information I appreciate it.

Last edited:
I am a very patient person, really I am. That is... until hatch day.
he.gif
Sitting here waiting for these ducklings to break out of their shells is driving me crazy!
barnie.gif
I have a ton of other things that need to get done (and have been trying to do them all day) but I can't seem to focus on any of them.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom