When should I be concerned about lack of laying?

NiteMareTender

Songster
Apr 4, 2021
SW Virginia
Hello all. I have read through a bunch of the posts regarding this as well as the informative sticky ones but I guess I need reassurance that my Columbian Wyandotte is just a REALLY late layer. My first trio of hens, White Leghorns, were typical and laid around 18-21 weeks. We got them in the spring from an online hatchery and introduced an Asian Black roo when they were all approximately 12 weeks old.
My next batch of chicks consisted of around a dozen CornishX and 3 Wyandottes, 2 of whom were crushed in the brooder by the much faster growing Cornish. This was around August and the remaining Wyandotte grew up with the giant meat birds. (She hangs out with them to this day).
I know she wasn't going to lay at her maturity age because of the season but she's yet to lay her first egg (nor have the 3 remaining Cornish hens). They coop with the leghorns, are allowed to free range when I am home, share an enclosure with 4 ducks (separate areas) and generally don't leave the run all too often. I added a laying sapphire gem to the mix about a month ago and she, 2 of my 3 female ducks and the leghorns are giving me eggs on average 5-7 eggs a week.
Is there a timeframe where I should be worried about her laying ability?
Thanks for whatever help you can give.

She does not enter the nesting boxes, has not laid on the ground and I've checked all around the coop which is pretty much as far as she wanders to. I get 3 white eggs (leghorns) a brown (sapphire gem) and 1-3 duck eggs a day. ( 1 is bluish green-Rouen and 1-2 huge off white to greenish tint-Pekin)

She does not enter the nesting boxes, has not laid on the ground and I've checked all around the coop which is pretty much as far as she wanders to.
Is her comb pale and smaller rather than bright red and plump?
Did you check her pelvic points as described in the link I posted?

She's got a tiny comb but it and her wattle are pretty bright. I also saw signs of her squatting in what seemed like a submissive position today so maybe she's getting ready. Her vent looks normal to me but I've only been raising hens since last year. Thanks for the input. I appreciate it.

I'll have to wait for the hubby to be around for the pelvic point checks. I have an extremely aggressive Roo that likes to sneak attack and I'm sure this will cause a ruckus. He's about another attack or two away from the pot. I like that he's protective but he hasn't learned who's boss.

I got 8 Columbian Wyandottes last fall, hatched 8/29. I figured they would lay later, because of the season & they did. Some started at 23 1/2 weeks (first week of Feb) & all were laying by 26 1/2 weeks. She will lay when she is ready.

I got 8 Columbian Wyandottes last fall, hatched 8/29. I figured they would lay later, because of the season & they did. Some started at 23 1/2 weeks (first week of Feb) & all were laying by 26 1/2 weeks. She will lay when she is ready.
Thanks! I know they're one of the later layers generally but we got her in July so I was just a bit concerned about her fertility. I appreciate the response.

Back
Top Bottom