When should I check the eggs that haven't hatched

melbah

Chirping
7 Years
Oct 22, 2012
Eggs are at day 22. First time using our DIY incubator. 30 eggs looked good at day 18. 23 hatched on days 20 and 21. Two eggs hatched today, day 22. So I have 5 that haven't pipped.

I really want to check those 5 eggs. What if they have internal pips and are dying in there?!

I have auto humidity with a fogger so the humidity comes back up quickly. I was thinking about grabbing those 5 and candling them.

Since none of the last 5 have pipped do you think it's ok if I candle to check for internal pips?

Well I candled and two had internal pips but when I opened up the egg a little they were dead. Didn't make the external pip in time. One was had a huge airsack, the size was normal at day 18 and two I'm not sure about so I left them.

It's hard to know that I might have saved the Yeo if I would have checked earlier, but there's no way to know what damage I might have done to others in the process.

Might they be pipping on the underside? You should be ok to candle but I would try to leave them a couple more days. I too am guilty of struggling to resist at times such as these!

I only oppened the ones with an internal pip I could see and left the rest. The two that didn't make the external pip didn't look like they had been dead very long.

:hugs You did the right thing and protected the strongest chicks who were able to hatch unassisted. It's a really hard call to make when to step in and help and interferring too early can be just as detrimental and heartbreaking as leaving it too late.

If the chick has died they sink towards the narrow end of the egg and look very black. There will be a thin layer of liquid between them and the air cell too. If the two you've left in are still looking full and dark then the chicks are probably just a bit late. :fl

:hugs You did the right thing and protected the strongest chicks who were able to hatch unassisted. It's a really hard call to make when to step in and help and interferring too early can be just as detrimental and heartbreaking as leaving it too late.

If the chick has died they sink towards the narrow end of the egg and look very black. There will be a thin layer of liquid between them and the air cell too. If the two you've left in are still looking full and dark then the chicks are probably just a bit late. :fl

Thank you, it helps to get some encouraging words.

And the info on what a dead chick in the egg looks like is helpful. That's exactly what the other two looked like.

Thank you, it helps to get some encouraging words.

And the info on what a dead chick in the egg looks like is helpful. That's exactly what the other two looked like.

Bother! But at least you have 25 little ones to cluck over. What kinds did you hatch?

Bother! But at least you have 25 little ones to cluck over. What kinds did you hatch?

BCM x BCM
BCM x cockoo maran
Ameraucana x EE
Ameraucana x Wheaton Ameraucana
Ameraucana x BCM

From our flock.

The BCM x Wheaton Ameraucana are all a beautiful dark gray. They may just feather out black but they are a gorgeous color.
IMG_20180306_131426877.jpg

Ameraucana x BCM

IMG_20180306_131617715.jpg
IMG_20180306_131617715.jpg

Back
Top Bottom