when should I expect eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Cha Cha Chicken, Nov 5, 2010.

1. Cha Cha Chicken

Cha Cha Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2010
    Im a newbie here [​IMG]
    Was wondering...... my 6 girls are 15 weeks today. What is the minimum age for laying? [​IMG]

2. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    Everyone will tell you that it depends on the breed; at least 1/2 of those will tell you that they will lay when they are ready. What breed do you have?

3. Cha Cha Chicken

Cha Cha Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2010
    one buff orp, two Ameraucanas,one dominiqe, one Bantam brahma, a Rhode island red... and a partridge in a pear tree [​IMG]

4. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    Not knowing the breeds, I would say NOT to expect any eggs until they are at least 25 weeks old. If you get eggs earlier than that-well call it a good surprise! [​IMG]

5. ambabya

ambabya Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    My EE started laying at 28 weeks and I read that is pretty normal for them. My BO and Wyandotte are still not laying (same age).

6. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

last year I got may chicks, and they didn't lay until the next march, heritage breeds like chanteclers, delaware etc... this spring, I got a bunch in april, and 3 of the 18 are laying, just started last week, a salmon faverolle, an ancona and a golden comet.

7. can you hear me now?

can you hear me now? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    I say at least 24 weeks isn't pushing it. I would wager that the rhode island red will be he first to lay if hey are hatchery birds. Some can lay as soon as 18 weeks but I hear that is rare. Kk.e took almost exactly 25 weeks and they are mainly hatchery barred rocks.

8. trunkman

trunkman Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2009
    Rock Hill SC
    I have RIR's, barred rocks, jersey giants, new hampshire reds, white rocks, and austrolorps and they all started laying at around 20 weeks, give or take a week... [​IMG]

9. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Quote:I agree !!

10. chalynm

chalynm Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2010
    NW AL
    I was just about to ask the same thing. My australorps will be 22 weeks Monday, and still nothing. A friend of mine, who thinks we were absolutely nuts to get chickens in the first place, keeps calling them our money wasters and those @#! eggless birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by