when should I expect eggs?

Cha Cha Chicken

Chirping
9 Years
Sep 5, 2010
Im a newbie here
big_smile.png

Was wondering...... my 6 girls are 15 weeks today. What is the minimum age for laying?
hu.gif

Everyone will tell you that it depends on the breed; at least 1/2 of those will tell you that they will lay when they are ready. What breed do you have?

one buff orp, two Ameraucanas,one dominiqe, one Bantam brahma, a Rhode island red... and a partridge in a pear tree
lol.png

Not knowing the breeds, I would say NOT to expect any eggs until they are at least 25 weeks old. If you get eggs earlier than that-well call it a good surprise!
wink.png

My EE started laying at 28 weeks and I read that is pretty normal for them. My BO and Wyandotte are still not laying (same age).

last year I got may chicks, and they didn't lay until the next march, heritage breeds like chanteclers, delaware etc... this spring, I got a bunch in april, and 3 of the 18 are laying, just started last week, a salmon faverolle, an ancona and a golden comet.

I say at least 24 weeks isn't pushing it. I would wager that the rhode island red will be he first to lay if hey are hatchery birds. Some can lay as soon as 18 weeks but I hear that is rare. Kk.e took almost exactly 25 weeks and they are mainly hatchery barred rocks.

I have RIR's, barred rocks, jersey giants, new hampshire reds, white rocks, and austrolorps and they all started laying at around 20 weeks, give or take a week...
big_smile.png

I was just about to ask the same thing. My australorps will be 22 weeks Monday, and still nothing. A friend of mine, who thinks we were absolutely nuts to get chickens in the first place, keeps calling them our money wasters and those @#! eggless birds.

Back
Top Bottom