When should I expect eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mommyrottie, Nov 16, 2011.

1. mommyrottie

mommyrottie Out Of The Brooder

Nov 12, 2011
    I got three hens 4 days ago. They had been abandoned for approximately 2 mos. long story. I know that it's getting colder and darker and they've been stressed out beyond belief. One of them has already flown the coop...and the yard. I saw her yesterday and threw some scratch down, but she wouldn't come back over the fence. The other two are pretty sweet, a tad flighty, but not bad. don't really want to be touched, startle occasionally, but it has been terribly windy the past 3 days.

I'm trying to go out to them about the same time each morning to feed them and talk to them. My 7 yr old son and I go out to them during them day and before dark, just to check on them, let them out for a while. They usually go back in on their own.

My main question is when is it realistic to start expecting them to lay? I've kinda told myself and others I talk to that if I get any eggs before January, I'll happily surprised. Is that about right or should I expect them to settle down before then?

Also as far as their personalities go, do you think I should expect much, if any change, relaxing, etc? I mean I use to work as a vet tech for a small animal practice. I know that I need to (and want to) get my hands on these birds. I think it's a good idea to clip their wings and I just like to know my animals. I've always known every freckle on my dogs or cats, for that matter, my kid. LOL Seriously, though, I feel like I need to be able to inspect them to know when something is wrong. I need to have a baseline to compare.

Thanks for any suggestions.

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    You may be in for a wait on the eggs. This is the time of year (with less daylight) that they lay less, then quit altogether for a molt. If they are in the process of molting (losing feathers, growing in feathers, etc) it's going to be a while until they lay. Not to mention they just went through a major shock being moved to your place, which can halt egg production. Just be patient and you'll get eggs when their bodies are ready.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by