when should I expect my hens to start laying eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by millerbeachindiana, Sep 18, 2009.

1. millerbeachindiana

millerbeachindiana New Egg

Jul 31, 2009
    Gary, Indiana
    they are 20 weeks old and we have 17 hens. Not one egg?! should I be concerned?

2. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    No worries, that's on the low side of normal. It will depend to some extent on the breed(s) that you have, also the shorter days of fall and winter can slow things down.

You can help by making sure they have a high protien layer ration and plenty of fresh water. If you scrimp on feed it will effect laying ability.

Have any of your girls gotten redder in the waddle and comb yet? They usually darken up a week or two before they start to lay. You might also notice them practicing in the nest box and/or squatting when you walk by or try to pick them up.

3. bluey

bluey thootp veteran

Apr 10, 2008
    Washington, PA
    Patience...you are soooo close! [​IMG]

4. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    You didn't say what breeds you have-- I have Barred Rocks that started at 24 weeks, a RIR @ 25 weeks and my BO girl is in the nest box , today, for the first time--she is 28 weeks old. My EE (24 weeks old) and Ameraucanas (28weeks old) haven't laid a single egg...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by