When should I expect one of my hens to begin brooding a clutch.

sgray136

Crowing
16 Years
May 11, 2007
Huntertown, Indiana
I have a rooster led bantam trio that I have free roaming from our horse pasture based in a portable coop. The hens are laying but don't seem to set the eggs. Should I leave the eggs allowing them to build up?

I would like to have the hens raise their own chicks.

Shaughn Gray
Huntertown, IN:)

Depending on breed some hens will never go broody. To find out , let them eggs stay until they lay at least 10 (I know). They will always build up a clutch first (I think).

Hens will go broody whether or not there are eggs in the nest, that is, if they have broodiness in their genetic makeup. Leaving eggs in the nest will often just be a waste of eggs. Broodiness is brough on by a change in hormones and until that happens, there is nothing you can do but wait.
It's better to save the freshest dozen to have available when one of them does go broody. Just save a dozen, date them with a pencil and replace the oldest with the freshest as they are laid, store them in a cool place. The oldest will still be great to eat.
When one of them does go broody have a separate pen set up to move her into. You can't leave her with the other hen who will continue to lay until she goes broody as well.

James

Back
Top Bottom