when should i fill the bator slots?

L*A*G*

Songster
11 Years
Nov 19, 2008
planet chicken
as i look in the bator i c there is more than 1 slot to put water in.
when do I fill in which slots? here is a pic of it to help u c what i mean.

18809_bator_slots.jpg

this is what it looks like all together...

18809_bator_all_2gether.jpg

thank u for your time,
Larra
pop.gif

Hi Larra:
Have you used this bator before? I mean is it a used bator? If it were mine, I would try to bleach off all the dark spots. Water/bleach solution in the tub for a little bit, rinse with hot water and let dry, before you use. Bator has to be clean and free of germies for babies!!

Now, to answer your question...fill it all up. All the ridges and the middle too, that's the best way to keep the humidity at 50% or so while you are incubating. Keep refilling as needed. Once you get to day 18, you can add wet socks of sponges.

Good luck!
Christina

yes, I'm barrowing it from a friend but I never used it.
what do i do when day 18 comes for higher humidity?
Thanks for your help so far, Chistina
smile.png

Larra

Just don't fill where the holes are or you will have a very wet table top!
big_smile.png

I have a deep soup bowl crock style that holds heat pretty well. I fill that up with the hottest water I can and put it in there, it is too tall for the chickies to climb into but they huddle around the base of it for warmth. When it cools off too much you can dump and refresh it. I use this for the last 3 days to keep that humidity up!

Don't use anything you think they might get into....because they WILL and will drown. You can also use the bowl method and put a washcloth in there to hold the water in case they DO climb in there they might get stuck in it but not drown in a big bowl of water.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the same incubator and the directions say to fill all the rings and keep checking daily, to see if you need to add more water. I just hatched my first set of eggs and had humidity trouble, I lost chicks because of it. I highly recommend getting atleast a temp/humidity gauge. I just got mine and found out temp was low and humdity only 45%, with sponges. I wish I had gotten it sooner, worth the $7 bucks!Don't trust the little thermometer that comes with the kit.

Back
Top Bottom