When should I intervene in bullying?

She's probably the 'low hen' in the older flock. They are most likely to object to any newcomers most vehemently.

As long as the youngers are eating and drinking OK and not being pinned down and beaten unmercilessly, I'd just stop worrying. Removing the bully might help, but another may take her place.
They are eating and drinking ok. I feel like they have so many options. The other hens even scratch next to the babies now- they won't share a food bowl yet but it's a positive step. It's just Rainy being a bully. She is the low hen. She was my buddy and always a loner. Maybe she's jealous for my attention. Lol! I try and put as many obstacles around as possible (as you can see in the pics). Corners were tricky but they've gotten pretty smart about avoiding them.

No, has nothing to do with you.
I posit that the low bird is either defending her lowly position, or is just glad to have someone lower ranked to pick on.
Oh man, there goes my ego boost!!:D I knew it wasn't about that but if it were about my cats? That's a whole different issue. I've got some pretty spiteful kitties that vie for my attention. Thanks for your help once again. 🤠

I have a similar issue. 10 six week old pullets and 10 one yr old hens. They've been together since the pullets were 2weeks. Integrated fully during the day since week 4. They still sleep separately in the coop.

Only one hen is causing an issue. She rips patches of feathers off of the pullets of she can grab them. No blood. She pursues them if she's up and about and they are in her view. She does give up after about 30 seconds maybe???

They all have access to all those areas all day. Pics attached.Do I need to change anything or separate that hen or just stop worrying? 😄.
Nice looking set up for integration. I wouldn't worry about it - it's annoying but her behavior isn't unusual. The pullets really should be learning to stay out of her way or get out of her way if they see her coming.

1685578056102.png

When you say the enclosure, does that mean the coop? Or a smaller more protected run? Is there only one way in and out?

Photos would help, especially if you could mark where the feeders are located.

Any possibility of adding additional feeders out in the area they're normally in? They don't need to be actual feeders, small bowls work just as well.
F for food, w for water, c for chicken for scale, the grid is just pavement, the green is shrubbery and trees but theres a lot of over head cover. So the top left corner is a smaller run enclosure they stay in for most of the morning because I was worried they wont eat the pellet feeders and just eat all the vegetation in the garden. I have 3 feeders, 2 gravity ones and one ratproof and weatherproof one. The chickens prefer to be in the larger run with greenery and seldom go back into the enclosed one. I may have to move things around, it's just I'm finding it hard to control what the chickens eat whether it's layer, grower pellets or the vegetation.

Are there multiple feeders and waterers spread apart so all the birds get a chance to eat?

Does the hen break off the chase if the chicks get further than 5-6' away from her?

Do you have ample clutter to provide hiding spots to any birds who need them?
I may have to have 2 feeders in the main run but out of line of sight from each other. I have to somehow weatherproof the gravity feeder I have and I need some kind of feeder arrangement in their coops so they don't go hungry in the morning. I wake at 8, the chickens wake at 5 or 6.

View attachment 3524863

F for food, w for water, c for chicken for scale, the grid is just pavement, the green is shrubbery and trees but theres a lot of over head cover. So the top left corner is a smaller run enclosure they stay in for most of the morning because I was worried they wont eat the pellet feeders and just eat all the vegetation in the garden. I have 3 feeders, 2 gravity ones and one ratproof and weatherproof one. The chickens prefer to be in the larger run with greenery and seldom go back into the enclosed one. I may have to move things around, it's just I'm finding it hard to control what the chickens eat whether it's layer, grower pellets or the vegetation.
Might want to try letting them out in the morning then, and not sweating what exactly they're eating (as long as they have access to feed) - confining the younger birds with their bully is probably making it tougher for them to get away from her and for them to eat.

Do you have actual measurements for all this? Actual photos? Because a drawing is making it look huge when maybe it's not as big as I'm thinking.
I need some kind of feeder arrangement in their coops so they don't go hungry in the morning. I wake at 8, the chickens wake at 5 or 6.
They won't go hungry. I remove all food overnight and wake up usually around 8:45, sometimes as late as 9:30.

I was worried they wont eat the pellet feeders and just eat all the vegetation in the garden.
Don't worry. They are good at balancing out their needs when they have the options. Just make the feed available and let them worry about the rest.

I'm finding it hard to control what the chickens eat whether it's layer, grower pellets or the vegetation.
You are making it too hard on yourself. Only feed one feed, a low calcium feed where the percent calcium is around 1%, not the 4% in Layer. That can be Grower, Starter, Flock Raiser, All-Flock, whatever protein percent makes you happy. Then offer oyster shell on the side. The ones that need the calcium for eggshells seem to know it and eat enough oyster shell while the ones that don't lay eggs don't eat enough to hurt themselves.

You are falling into the trap that gets a lot of people on this forum. You are making it too complicated. Look for ways to simplify. Feeding them all the same feed is one way.

Back
Top Bottom