When should I introduce chicks to the outdoors?

Fluffers

Songster
7 Years
Jan 13, 2013
About 4th in the Pecking order...
I have 3 Buff Orp chicks that are 2 weeks old. I have 2 Free Range hens and I don't know what would happen if the chicks went out now, Because I don't want the older hens to hurt the chicks, Should i wait to until the chicks are older, or are they ok? Are their immune systems strong enough? I give them medicated feed, What should I do?

Hello there,

If you can, maybe put them outside for short periods of time to let them get used to it at first. Personally, I like to let the older chickens out and just close up the coop so that no one can get in except hens to the laying area. Then I put the young ones in the run part of it so they can experience outside without being bullied. Usually, I'll do it in warm afternoons at first just to see how they fare with it and get them more comfortable with it. Age-wise, it really varies.. 2 weeks is pretty young sounding to me, maybe at 4-5 weeks normally but with summer coming soon, you might be able to do it sooner :)

As for introducing, if they're all going to live in the same coup, I recommend doing it at night so it's dark and the older ones should bother them less I think..

Good luck!!

Back
Top Bottom